Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m looking at getting an induction kit for the track car. Whilst I know the power gains are minimal if indeed any my main reason is so I can remove the engine cover and free up valuable engine bay real estate.

I had a thought that if I can relocate the number plate to a square one off to one side I can drill some holes behind where the number plate would be and thus maximise any potential airflow to the filter.

I also realise that this may look a bit w*** however is definitely a case of function over form.

what do you guys think? Has anyone previously done this and if so do you have any pics? Just so I can have an idea of what it looks like before I do anything.

alternatively I could just make the holes, cover with the number plate and remove the plate when I get to the track.

what are your thoughts on this.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,530 Posts
alternatively I could just make the holes, cover with the number plate and remove the plate when I get to the track.
That's what I did, although the crash bar runs directly behind anyway so I'm not sure how effective it is. Never did any kind of logging of inlet temps. Looked OK though (I thought).

You can run a cold air feed or two from the lower front grille up to the pod filter and that provides a good supply.

Running air feeds from the front fog lights is another option, although you might also want to use those to feed air to the brakes for track.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Daytime

· Super Moderator
30,731 Posts
Highly doubt it will aid air feed to an induction kit as, as mentioned above, there is a big lump of metal behind it and the filter is actually not in that location either. Better off with a filter located in a better place to start with or an enclosed system with a cold air feed.

I ran a K&N open cone on my Mk6 with a cold air feed from the O/S fog light.

Not to mention I think relocating the numberplate might not be legal. Even if it is, it will likely get you unwanted attention from plod.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input chaps.

I guess I could pop out the N/S headlight for track days. That may help.

did you use any particular kit for replacing dog lights with ducting or did you just cobble it up with ducting cable tied to back of fog light hole etc?

thanks.

· Registered
435 Posts
I'd concur with the others... It'll probably make no difference to intake temps as it's in the wrong place, but would help with getting some airflow through the engine bay (providing the scuttle is removed)

If you do want to cut some holes there, why not fit one of the quick release number plate holders over the top? That way you have the best of both worlds for being on the road / vs track.

Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Parallel Auto part

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good shout. Cheers fella.

I was looking at this last night.. seems good value:

However the actual intake pipe from filter to inlet seems a bit flimsy. Anyone used one?

also does anyone know the size of the breather pipe under the air box? I need to order a little filter for that but not sure of the size without measuring it.

thanks guys.

· Super Moderator
30,731 Posts
I used a generic trumpet from Halfords IIRC and glued it onto the back of the fog light ring bezels then cable tied cold air ducting in place.

I have hyperlink to various stages of mine in my old Mk6 thread, just look for any updates mentioning the cold air feeds in my first post and click the blue link to take you to the relevant post.

· Administrator
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift ), 2005, MK6 zetec S
1,461 Posts
Thanks fella.
Hi Tripplehazzard,
I had a Ramair induction system on my ST when I first got it and tbh wasn't that impressed. - That kit looks a lot of money for what you actually get.
From memory yours is a 1.4 zetec ? so you'd need to run the induction piping across the front of the slam panel and them down to the n/s/f of the grille.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

If you didn't want to use the foglight appatures maybe something like this

Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light Car

As far as the breather is concerned, if its this one, the pipe OD is 15mm, the barbed 90 degree adapter that came with the ramair kit was 14mm OD.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fella.

looking at K&N kits they are bloody expensive but they will be a good fit etc but don’t remove the whole airbox.

perhaps I can just buy a bit of ally pipe, couple of silicone elbows (a 45 and a 90 maybe) and make my own.

anyone know the size of the actual intake pipe? Obvs I can measure It.

thanks.

· Administrator
1,461 Posts
Thanks fella.

looking at K&N kits they are bloody expensive but they will be a good fit etc but don’t remove the whole airbox.

perhaps I can just buy a bit of ally pipe, couple of silicone elbows (a 45 and a 90 maybe) and make my own.

anyone know the size of the actual intake pipe? Obvs I can measure It.

thanks.
Hi Tripplehazzard,
I'm working on my assumption yours is a zetec, I can't find a pic of the K&N but i'm thinking its like this

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

Waste of time, cause all your doing is replacing the OEM filter with a cone.
The throttle body inlet is betwen 55-60mm, ( can't measure exactly as its got a metal clip on it - and she needs to go out in the car soon )
My ramair filter outlet is 70mm OD, so with a small silicone filler would accept normal domestic plastic downpipe ( 68mm OD )
So you could go off the throttle body with straight silicone, into a 90 degree then across the front of the slam panel into another 90 degree then down to the filter
The fly in the oinment is the bonnet catch cause you won't get a 70mm pipe between it and the inlet manifold, unless you remove the catch
If you were doing in ally, you could recess the pipe behind the catch, it is a restriction but surely must breath better than OEM.
Good luck
If you need any measurements give me a shout
Al

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks mate.

my sentiments exactly regarding the ones that go on the end of the existing airbox. Roose motorsport do a specific silicone inlet hose that removes all the airbox but it’s…. £80 WITHOUT a filter!! 🤦‍♂️

· Super Moderator
30,731 Posts
Unfortunately, the aftermarket for older cars starts hetting more expensive as the demand starts to fall off. I remember the K&N kit being the go to for the Mk6 ST, then they doubled/tripled in price not long after the Mk7 came along.

· Administrator
1,461 Posts
Thanks mate.

my sentiments exactly regarding the ones that go on the end of the existing airbox. Roose motorsport do a specific silicone inlet hose that removes all the airbox but it’s…. £80 WITHOUT a filter!! 🤦‍♂️
Hi Tripplehazzard,
If its this your looking at :
Font Office supplies Electric blue Plastic Fashion accessory

Its not an induction kit..... the long pipe goes between the throttle body and the air filter housing and the short pipe goes betwen the slam panel and the air filter housing.
I made this mistake and ordered 1, then cancelled my order :eek:
If youve found something else, please let me know, I'm thinking the only way to get a decent induction kit on a zetec is to scratch build 1.
Al

· Administrator
1,461 Posts
Hi Tripplehazzard,
If its this your looking at :
View attachment 590938

Its not an induction kit..... the long pipe goes between the throttle body and the air filter housing and the short pipe goes betwen the slam panel and the air filter housing.
I made this mistake and ordered 1, then cancelled my order :eek:
If youve found something else, please let me know, I'm thinking the only way to get a decent induction kit on a zetec is to scratch build 1.
Al
Found this:
Car Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design

Which would work fine, but I can't see it on their website. - I'll call them.

· Administrator
1,461 Posts
Found this:
View attachment 590939

Which would work fine, but I can't see it on their website. - I'll call them.
Hi Trippleharrazrd,
OK, spoke to roose motorsport, very helpful guy, the hose in the pic above is the long hose in the two hose kit - you just turn it through 90 degrees and fit a 90 degree hose.
Reference is RSM1728IM - and it costs 69 inc vat.

· Administrator
1,461 Posts
Thanks a lot mate. Still bloody expensive.

so what’s the other pipe for in the kit?
It goes between the slam panel intake and the air filter box. replaces this :

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Engineering

and does nothing to improve performance.
I don't think its crazy money but I can't see it being any better than the ramair kit u posted earlier, its only a bit of hose after all, I think it looks better than the ramair hose but as you said functionality over athetics.
Al

1 - 20 of 31 Posts