Fiesta ST Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Administrator
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift ), 2005, MK6 zetec S
1,464 Posts
The Ramair kit above is actually like this chaps, so does get rid of the airbox however sits right above the exhaust.

View attachment 591004
Hi Tripplehazzard,

That is truely horrendeous, not just how it looks but as Jimmy said the idea is to send cooler air into the filter, not heak soak it.

Having said that, have you tried loosening the OEM pipe from the throttle body, then rotating it 90-100 degrees clockwise to see if it will run across the top of the inlet manifold ?

Al

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi mate,

yep tried that. Not only is it too short to lift up far enough to go across the inlet it hits the bonnet catch and if its moved back it may hit the bonnet. That said I am going to try to do something with it. I reckon some straight silicone bits, some jubilee clips and a filter will be able to cobble something together using the standard intake.

watch this space… Now what filter? K&N, pipercross,Ramair… I’m suspicious of the foam ones, the foam always seems a bit too open weave for my liking.

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
Hi mate,

yep tried that. Not only is it too short to lift up far enough to go across the inlet it hits the bonnet catch and if its moved back it may hit the bonnet. That said I am going to try to do something with it. I reckon some straight silicone bits, some jubilee clips and a filter will be able to cobble something together using the standard intake.

watch this space… Now what filter? K&N, pipercross,Ramair… I’m suspicious of the foam ones, the foam always seems a bit too open weave for my liking.
Hi,

oh well, I did think it was an outside chance of it working.

As far as filters are concerned as I think I said, I got the ramair kit and wasn't keen on it, so I bought a k&N RU-4870 universal kone filter ( which was far too big as I still had all the ST resonator box brackets in place at the time. I'll measure it tommorrow and if its any good to you you can have it ( if u pay the postage :ROFLMAO: )

So then I went for the 57i kit, which I like, not based on any facts, I just like it

Maybe it worth be contacting someone like deamon tweks to see if K&N do a similar sized filter to the 57i, but without all the pipework, but then again if you do fit a 57i you don't need the crank filter so that would save you what £10-15.

Al

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
Hi mate,

Hi Trpplehazzard

Hose arrived from Roosesport this morning
Its got an ID of app 60mm and an OD of app 75mm, so the RAM filter won't go straight into it as its app 70mm OD.
Lashed this together
Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Bumper Fender

So this is the Roose hose with a 90 degree bend fitted over ( I'm looking for some plastic pipe to go into the Roose hose to stiffen it up, don't like the idea of clamping silicone to silicone without additional strengthening )
Out the other side of the 90 i've put a short length of 70mm OD plastic gutter pipe into my universal K&N
You could put the RAM filter straight into the 90 as the RAM is app 70mm OD
This is basically the set up I posted earlier, but I'm thinking I really want the filter closer to the radiator air vent, so am hoping I can go with the K&N and a longer plastic joining pipe.
MY K&N dimensions are :
Cone - 170mm long - spout adds another 50 mm but could be cut down ( rubber)
Widest width 150mm dia
Narrowest width 130mm
RAM air dimensions are
Cone - 145mm long - spout adds another 50mm but could be cut down ( hard plastic)
Widest width 150mm dia
Narrowest width 115mmm
The K&N filter which comes in the 57i kit is Tiny.
Length 120mm
Widest 130mm
Narrowest 95mm

THe 57i filter has a hole in it so you connect the crankcase breather directly to the cone, so no mini filter required.

JUst when I was going to start fitting stuff, shes nicked the car to pick kids up from schoool - HOW RUDE :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for that mate.

I’ve actually ordered a couple of bits of silicone hose and some ally pipe from ebay and a universal filter.

ideally I’d like to get it in front of the manifold and behind the bonnet catch but still be able to use the bonnet catch so I’ve ordered a length of 57mm ally a 57mm elbow and a 45. Hopefully that lot will enable me to do it.

it came to about £70 inc a universal Ramair filter with a hard 60mm outlet.

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
Thanks for that mate.

I’ve actually ordered a couple of bits of silicone hose and some ally pipe from ebay and a universal filter.

ideally I’d like to get it in front of the manifold and behind the bonnet catch but still be able to use the bonnet catch so I’ve ordered a length of 57mm ally a 57mm elbow and a 45. Hopefully that lot will enable me to do it.

it came to about £70 inc a universal Ramair filter with a hard 60mm outlet.
Yeah, cool...
tbh if you had to flatten ( hammer the c**p out of it ) the pipe behind the bonnet catch I can't see it being a game changer.
I'm gonna try and work out some brackets to use the OEM holes in the slam panel to support the hose/pipe - can't see it being rocket science :ROFLMAO:

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
Cheers fella.

together we will get a working kit.
Well,
I hope u have more luck than me....
Fitted the hose to the throlle body, then it started chuckinbg it down, so I tried to close the bonnet - no hope
REverted to standard fitment, looks nice, but not what trying to achieve,
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
I did wonder if it may hit the bonnet. I even emailed Roose to ask them and they said turn it 90degree and they’ve sold literally 100’s with no issues.
Hi,
Yeah, just had another look @ the first picture and it goes higher than I had fitted, mine was running parrallel to the slam panel, which I guess its too low, but I was getting very wet at this point :ROFLMAO:

I'll have another play tommorrow.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi mate

today I received a bit of straight 57mm silicone that I used as an extender to the standard inlet pipe which just brought it up a couple of inches.

I’ve not got enough jubilee clips to sort it properly but looks like it may work, I also need to make a bracket of some description too.

I’ve also got more silicone and a length of ally tube coming too so I’ll see if I can make a better solution

anyway here is how it fits so far:

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive air manifold Automotive design

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
Just to add I think the concertina bit of the pipe is hitting the bonnet though.
Yeah, lookin good (y)
Again, I think you might be having the same bonnet issue as I had, if you look @ the pic I posted of the blue roose pipe it comes off the throttle body at virtualloy 45 degrees, where as yiurs is closer to 90 degrees.
There may be more clearance at the steeper angle, thats maybe why theyve fitted the 90 degree silicone as by going higher there isn't enough room b4 hitting the battery box.
Have you had it running to see any difference from OEM ?
Al

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi mate.

revision 2 just complete

I need t make some sort of bracket coming off the inlet manifold (not ideal) or the slam panel.

Managed to move the bonnet catch hook a few mm further forward which stopped it hitting the inlet alloy tube.
Not driven yet as needs some brake work.

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tread

21 - 36 of 36 Posts