Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing my 6th trackday in a few days and im thinking maybe i need to start looking after my engine more. Browsing on Ebay the other day for random things, a Oil cooler setup came up in the suggestions... Im just wondering if its worth while? I normally have to change my oil after trackdays because it goes all black and loses its lubrication properties etc... which sucks :/

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120728646402&category=72205&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_3504wt_905

I would get the thermostat controlled version so the oil will be kept at a Min of 80c. Good idea? Or should i stay away from these things?

·
Registered
649 Posts
i have been looking to do the same.i dont do track days,it would save the internals off your engine geting too hot,thats got to be a good thing.mark.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's not so much to keep the engine cool but to keep the oil in its operating range. As the oil gets hotter it gets thinner, as such it can fail to coat bearings the way it should and oil pressure can also drop....cue the death rattle when one your bottom end bearings gives up!

I have a cooler to fit to my car, just not git around to it yet. 13 row is about right for a 2 litre engine from what I've read! You will need a sandwich plate to fit a 3/4 UNF filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts