Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of getting hung, drawn and quartered I'm going to ask for some opinions.

Dealer rang today and offered to px my Fiesta ST Edition handing me a reasonable chunk of profit to buy a Focus ST Edition - I know, out of the "goodness" of their hearts bless em etc lol

Anyway - I am tempted, I absolutely love my Fiesta but a larger car would on occasion be a blessing and make life a little easier. On the flip side, running costs will be slightly more. Insurance is negligible, £30 or so increase a year but I assume it will be thirstier and cost maybe an extra tank of fuel a month for approx 300 miles a month. Finance will work out very close, a few quid more a month but nothing I'll notice.

I haven't driven, or even sat in the current Focus so am very unsure if I like it or not. Normally I would go to the dealer and test drive to make sure but they don't even have any second hand ST's to look at let alone test drive and the ST Edition won't arrive for a month, with only 2 to sell I need to decide without seeing it...pressure selling at its best.

I've googled and watched a few reviews of the Focus, most say its good but I get the feeling for pure driving fun the Fiesta is better, the Focus is maybe more prone to torque steer and a long range cruiser capable of fun rather than being fun focused. Is this accurate?

TL.DR
If anyone has driven both ST's and has an opinion please share, I need help! (Yep, in more ways than one lol)

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t bother as you already have something more rarer, fun and cheaper to run but if a bigger car (as such) is something you’re after then go for it mate.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers. I am terrible for always lusting after change, but this is a bit over the top daft even for me, only picked mine up in March! If I could go look at it & test drive, I'm sure it would be easy to get out my system, but I can't. Going to sleep on it at least one night as logic dictates its stupid to do, it may be faster and more comfortable due to longer wheel length, but I doubt its more fun due to size & weight. I suspect an electronic diff doesn't match up to a real diff either.

·
Premium Member
MK8 ST Edition
415 Posts
If you're going to throw all the new Mountune bits at it for M365 speeds - Yes
If you're leaving it alone - Nope zzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
MK8 ST Edition
415 Posts
@JP_Racing Thanks - do you mind clarifying that a little? Is the Focus ST a bit lethargic otherwise?
You're going from the surgeon's scalpel for B roads to something just a bit sensible. Considering the better half's RS felt a bit bland with the standard 345bhp I'd imagine the current gen Focus ST is much the same... Similar weight and less power. But that 360PS map winds the torque up to 560Nm and that'll be bonkers o_O That's similar torque to the RS' Revo performance pack and that's a riot!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve sat in a Focus ST (not driven unfortunately) - all I can say is & whilst it’s a very familiar surrounding, it does feel considerably larger than the Fiesta - certainly more suited for family’s doing regular travel. The thing is because the interior is so similar, it’s probably not going to be that much of a ‘change’ for you. Tough decision to make but food for thought.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
The very fact you have canvassed opinion should be the answer. If you want it, if just the thought of it pleasantly whibbled your thrusset pouch, then you'd have said yes on the spot.

If this decision needs the approval or opinion of others then alarm bells should automatically be ringing... you have reservations so you don't instinctively want it.

You said you'd sleep on it overnight, well its the morning now so act now. Take your Fiesta out for a long early drive involving twisties on a light traffic Sunday morning and THEN ask yourself the question... not what would I gain, but what would I miss.

Do that and I think we all know what the answer will be 😉

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve had a go of the focus (not the edition but a high spec ST in black) and it felt like an oil tanker getting back into the PE I thought I had hopped on to a jet ski!
it didn’t feel as fun and raw, or nimble, it felt …Sensible and I didn’t look back at it and think wish I had the money for that.
now I admit I’m a mega fan of the edition and yeah I would go orange to blue if I got offered a great deal. But I definitely wouldn’t be going blue to blue ie fiesta to focus
It would feel a step backwards. Just my humble opinion. I like the manic feel of the fiesta.

·
Premium Member
MK8 ST Edition
415 Posts
Also not directly comparable, but I went MK7 Fiesta ST, MK3 Focus ST, MK8 Fiesta ST and now the ST Edition. In the year I had the Focus I was glad of the extra size over the Fiesta maybe a handful of times. Granted it was a diesel, as I was trying to save a few quid, but it didn't really end up being the case and I just found it boring.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
the focus ST in normal guise gest very good reviews, you have to assume the edition model will be the same step up from a normal focus, as an edition fiesta ST is over a normal ST, and folks say the edition is better, so it could be a real belter, after all it has the same upgrades in the suspension and wheels as the fiesta. Its faster as standard, it will be more comfortable but will cost a little more to run, swings and roundabouts
I think a power upgrade would really make it sing, but personally i think 540 nm is too much for front drive, you won't be able to go full throttle in the lower gears, and thats part of the fun for me. I can still just about do it in my M260 ST, mountune state it has 365 nm, and i don't want anymore.

·
Super Moderator
23,606 Posts
I presume from an earlier comment and your recent thread at Honister Pass, that you live in/around Yorkshire Dales/The Lakes...

That is Fiesta stomping ground. Focus, albeit it more powerful and faster is subjective. On the bypasses, yes. On the twisties, no.

I would definitely be sticking with the Fiesta if there is no real requirement for a larger car.

Hell, my Mk7 with just a Mountune intake and CP2 map is almost as quick in a straight line as an Audi S4.

·
Registered
MK8 Fiesta ST 2018 M235
3,035 Posts
Also not directly comparable, but I went MK7 Fiesta ST, MK3 Focus ST, MK8 Fiesta ST and now the ST Edition. In the year I had the Focus I was glad of the extra size over the Fiesta maybe a handful of times. Granted it was a diesel, as I was trying to save a few quid, but it didn't really end up being the case and I just found it boring.
Same route I went through except for the edition. Focus ST diesel automatic was certainly faster (tuning box in in it so I think it made something like 230hp/495nm?) and when accelerating from a rolling start it kept up with a standard Focus RS until 120kmh and RS started to have more pull. But the worst thing and the reason I went back to the Fiesta was the fact that to have any fun, you had to go million miles an hour just to get it to move around a bit. It had way too much traction. Yeah it had better equipment than many Fiestas but you really had to pay for it and yes it had more room, it was more comfortable etc but I still didnt feel at home. I just figured that if I needed the space I just go back to the old ways and fold the seats when needed and I have been happy since. Even the running costs are similar as Fiesta is not that heavy and doesnt use that much petrol so it kinda equals out, unless you do long distanse drives a lot. So if you want something sensible that can go fast (especially when tuned) its great option, but if you want to have some fun without breaking the law its the Fiesta all day long.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers everyone, loads of really good points and I really appreciate the experience shared. Really helped (whats another word for focus lol) my mind and understand that for what I'd gain (more comfortable commute when dropping daughter to uni, more space) I'd lose probably more of what I love about the Fiesta, chiefly its nimbleness and that great grin that comes from nowhere when you throw it around a corner. The outright speed difference doesn't really bother me as I've had my share of fast cars and the Fiesta is fast enough to be fun when needed but not so fast its all wasted ability.

Off to remind my daughter for the 5th time she doesn't need to take the entire house with her! Edit. And to upset a car salesman who probably thought he had 2 guaranteed sales)

·
Registered
MK8 Fiesta ST 2018 M235
3,035 Posts
Cheers everyone, loads of really good points and I really appreciate the experience shared. Really helped (whats another word for focus lol) my mind and understand that for what I'd gain (more comfortable commute when dropping daughter to uni, more space) I'd lose probably more of what I love about the Fiesta, chiefly its nimbleness and that great grin that comes from nowhere when you throw it around a corner. The outright speed difference doesn't really bother me as I've had my share of fast cars and the Fiesta is fast enough to be fun when needed but not so fast its all wasted ability.

Off to remind my daughter for the 5th time she doesn't need to take the entire house with her! Edit. And to upset a car salesman who probably thought he had 2 guaranteed sales)
And, even if you daugher took the whole house with her, Fiesta is a surprisingly big car. Me and my friend have MK8 Fiestas and we also use them for work and as long as you dont try to fit tall ladders into them the amount of stuff you can fit into one is huge. You just have to remind yourself that people managed with old Beetles old Minis etc etc...You just have to be willing to fold the seats and maybe at times move the front seats to fit all the stuff in. 3people, 1dog, stuff for a week at the summerhouse is quite easy to fit into a Fiesta.

And as you said, the grin would be gone. The only time Focus was able to show what its made of was in the winter on snow and ice. Then you could play around a bit. But it was still a bit more of a safe chassis setup than Fiesta that just has the tail hanging all around the place in the winter (well also when its not winter).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts