Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I recently posted that my partner's Citroen C3 had lost power steering. The Citroen dealership that has the car has said that the ECU has failed. I have applied to Citroen for goodwill as the car is less than four years old and has covered 50000 miles. Doesn't seem like fair wear and tear to me! The dealer has said that the part alone is £700. This is the second time the steering has failed on the car. When it was two months old the steering rack was replaced under warranty.

My partner doesn't trust the car anymore and it's going to be moved on. Is there a cheap way to get this ECU fixed ... Perhaps a place that can repair them?

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
£700, ouch.

I know ECU's can be bought and replaced from eBay and scrap yards, problem is a lot need 'coding' to the car so you incur dealership costs whatever way you try and do it, though it would still end up costing a lot less than £700!

As an example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/C2-C3-POWER-STEERING-ECU-PAS-9650836780-QITI9074MZE-/160586797505?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2563b811c1 . Match up your current ECU part number with an eBay part, and bingo?

More car details are needed I reckon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those replies. I'll get the exact details of Ann's C3 and post them here. The Citroen dealership did say that the new ECU would need to be programmed to the car. Is it only main dealerships that have the necessary kit to code ECUs to individual car models?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
More then likely (In most case's) Only Main Dealer's have the equipment to be able to reprogram the ECU ^ If It has Central Locking BOTH
the Key Fob's will need to be reprogrammed aswell so If you need to go to them to get this done make sure you take BOTH Fob's with you!

Try searching Ebay mate,My mate sent his Astra ECU off to someone who advertised fixing them on there.It came back working spot on.

·
"Fifi LaRoo"
12,307 Posts
My dad's Brava needs a new ECU and we were quoted £700 which is more than the car is worth! Luckily the car runs right without so we're leaving it.

I would approach Citroen UK for either full or a good will payment given the problems you have had.

·
"Fifi LaRoo"
12,307 Posts
Ahh congrats on getting Citroen UK to make a goodwill payment and congrats on the sweet new car for your Mrs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts