Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
So I thought it was about time to to introduce myself and my car, been a mk6 owner since December last year and a member of the community since then.

Little about myself, was made redundant from the armed forces after 20yrs in 2013 at which point I moved with Mrs N to the Cotswolds. I live just outside Cheltenham and it is the longest spell in my life that I have not lived by the coast.
Not really had huge experience in modding cars until a few years ago as it was more about reliability and mpg when I was commuting. It all started when I bought a SportKa as a run around when I had a posting close to home and I fancied a bit more poke so after a lot of money for not a lot of return I had a Sportka running 125bhp and a lot of fun to drive.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Unfortunately the rot caught up with it and at only 7yrs old failed it's pre mot on rot and required more than I was willing to put into it. So off I went to the local car shop and bought a C2 VTS, enough said on that.

That took me up to December last year when I bought my current mk6. So it's def going to be a slow project as and when funds allow but as its only used on the weekends it will do.

So first off was the K&N quickly followed by a 60mm throttle body. Full miltek system inc non res catback, sport cat and manifold was the next buy followed by an omp strut brace.
I had a bit of break after that as the wife was getting a bit sick of parcels turning up at the door. Next was a 300mm brake conversion and Cobb rear mount, at this point I've also sorted out all the mechanical bits that we're getting on my nerves.
The last two buys are the ones that I've enjoyed the most, dreamscience stratagem ultra was bought and installed using the race+ map. Then after a bit of a search a set of Mondeo Si wheels and that's where she sits at the moment.
She nearly 10yrs old has a few bumps but still looks half decent after a wash and after the tinkering I've done so far is running 170bhp at the fly.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood Product Rectangle Slope Font Material property

Plans for the future, well she is looking like a tractor so springs or coilovers are next then who knows.

Mods done so far

1. Bilstein B12 kit
2. St170 brake upgrade front and rear yellow stuff pads all round
3. Cobb rear engine mount
4. Omp front strut brace
5. Front mount oil cooler with thermostat
6. Induction kit
7. Dreamscience stratagem remap (now hyper-r)
8. Full miltek non res exhaust inc manifold and race cat
9. Kv85 magnecor leads
10. JS PAS relocation kit
11. Fusion Fabrication Inlet
12. 60mm Throttle Body

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spent a few hours searching the Internet as you do looking for oil cooler kits for my mk6 over the last few days. I've used Mocal a few times before and have found the kit to be really good quality so after a bit of searching I've bought a 13 row cooler with a thermostat take off plate. Wasn't the cheapest as its a brand name but you do get what you pay for, it's also going to allow me to fit an oil temp gauge in the future.

Thought I would do a fitting guide if anyone is interested if not then I won't bother, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bit of an update, I fitted my 60mm tb after I mapped my st with a generic ds race+ map. Now I've had no running issues with it fitted, no rev hunting or hanging revs but I've always thought it just didn't seem as eager throught the Rev range as the when the standard unit was fitted so I made the decision to put the standard unit back on and see how it felt. Now after a couple of days driving around with the standard unit fitted and all is good with the world, back to feeling eager again and wanting to rev. Now all I can think is that it must just be that I need to have a custom map done to feel the benefit and as that's not about to happen anytime soon the 60mm tb can go back in the shed.

While I'm updating I've also decided to bite the bullet and get her lowered, I'm 90% decided on BC's as I want the dampening adjustment as well as the ride height. My only problem is I keep looking at the spax rsx kits as I've used spax before and they have always impressed, there isn't much in the price and reviews of both are fairly good. Now I'm not bothered about the camber adjustment so it's really down to personnel choice and which I can get cheaper. As I plan to do it during my xmas break I better get a move on and decide.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well nothing has happened to be honest, coilovers are still in the pipeline when I decide on what flavour I want. Decided to waste a bit of money on changing my k&n filter for a Ramair filter, slight difference on induction noise. Been watching my average mpg hovering around 22-23mpg but apart from that it's a bit too cold to tinker at the moment.

Have decided on one thing tho, MORE POWER

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So with a little bit of sunny weather on Friday I set about changing my springs and shocks. Picked up a set of B12 Bilsteins brand new off eBay for a bit of a steal, I had previously decided to go for BC's but just couldn't justify the outlay for something that just wouldn't be used to there full potential. So nearly 5hrs under the car and my first time changing springs and shocks I'm really happy with the outcome. Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

So as she sits now on 16" 7j et35 wheels with 45 profile tyres lowered by 25-30mm (seems lower to me) the ride is such an improvement over standard and is so more compliant when pushing on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after I managed to pick up a set of st170 rear calipers for a decent price I decided to treat myself to some new rear brake shields and carry out the rear st170 brake upgrade.

Not a particular hard job to carry out, took a pair of hours and that was including a full brake flush. I'm now running mtec grooved disks front and back with oem mintex pads which will do for the minute, obv will take a little while before they've bedded in till I can see if it has made a noticeable change.

One thing I wasn't expecting was the state of the old brake fluid, I reckon it had never been changed. I used the Gunson eezibleed if anyone is interested and found it real easy to get the job done with.

Liquid Green Fluid Plastic bottle Gas

Think next job to get done will be the pas relocation mod, well if I can bring myself to spend the money on a couple of tubes and a union.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I thought I'd treat myself to a couple of buys this week, got in touch with DS about there hyper-r map and for the grand sum of £50 they sent it over on an email for me to stick it on my stratagem ultra and off we went. Not had a drive in it yet as I only stuck it on this morning.

Secondly thanks to a member on here ive purchased a pas relocation kit with a nice discount, I changed my pump a few months ago and have noticed the fluid starting to darken again. Thanks to Drifting for giving me the heads up on SiCo's kit not being all that and the discount received on the kit I've bought problem now solved hopefully.

Only thing I might add to it is a Mondeo pas cooler (finned bar type) as I can run the return line to it on the way to the new pas tank.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
1st update on the new map and its a bonus, it's got rid of the pops and bangs. Was using the race+ map originally and although it drove great on it she used to pop and bang, it's all gone now.

2nd there was always a smell of unburnt fuel, kind of like you used to get from carbed cars. That has totally gone now so I'm guessing the increase in hp that DS reckon you get is probably from a slightly cleaner efficient map.

Oh yeah, my rev hang is back on the 60mm throttle although I'm guessing that will sort itself out in time.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next update,

Fitted the JS performance Pas relocation kit, kit itself went in with no issues. Only problem I had was my own fault as I tightened up on the hose clamps to much and crimped the plastic tank ( second time I've had a driveway covered in pas fluid )

So off I popped to buy a second hand mk1 focus pas tank, it actually fitted better than the one provided in the kit as its marginally smaller.

So I think I'm pretty much done fiddling with the car at the moment, I'm happy with the way it drives and the power at the moment. Think I will try and find a decent dyno local to where I live and see how the old girl is doing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looking good Simon, nice to see another performance blue owner! I really like the Oil Cooler you went with. Mind if you have a moment to message me the parts list and any info you have - need to do this soon when i replace my power steering pump

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm doing my pas oil cooler and relocation at the weekend. It's all from bits I've obtained myself at a massive fraction of the cost and the hose I have it proper oil and fuel resistant. Some of the bought kits end up leaking just a warning!

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it took all of two days and I've decided to spend some more money, full set of yellowstuff pads are hopefully already winging there way to me and hopefully on at the weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So managed to get round to swapping my pads for yellowstuff pads today, only took 1 1/2 hrs to get them all swapped out. Really makes a difference when you spend a bit of time and grease the parts needed when your playing with the hubs and brakes. Obviously no review as of yet as there still bedding in and as there is a bedding in process layed down I thought I would keep to it.

So apart from that I reckon that's about it for now apart from getting it on a dyno.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So not done a lot as for once it's running great. Just ordered oil and filter for a a quick oil change and a new water pump as there is a slight weep from the one fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have had a slight weep from my water pump for a few months now so I ordered a new comline unit off the bay of e for a good price (£16). I set about changing it this morning and it took a pair of hours changing it, the old one didn't want to budge so it took a bit of persuation to get it out. New one went in nice and easy with a smear of hylomar blue for good luck. Nice easy DIY for anyone needing to do it and fingers crossed I've sorted the leak.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts