Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has had her 20 plate Performance edition for a few weeks now and I've noticed that on a cold start there appears what seems to be some piston slap which goes as the engine warms. Is the 3 cylinder engine prone to this?
I've had cars in the past which have shown this and whilst it's not normally an issue, I thought I'd ask to see if others have noticed it.

JohnD

·
Registered
50 Posts
In all honesty I’ve owned 3 cylinders from Ford, Peugeot, bmw and Vauxhall spanning two decades and never have I heard one that doesn’t sound like an absolute bag of spanner’s when on a cold start. I find it best to let the idle settle before moving off as they tend to knock/slap when cold

·
Registered
235 Posts
Never heard of this.
Mine certainly doesn’t do it (2019) sounds no different to any other 4 cylinder l have owned.
Surely a thing of the past and not present in modern engines.
You are not talking of “pinking” are you? (Look it up if you don’t know what it is)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Never heard of this.
Mine certainly doesn’t do it (2019) sounds no different to any other 4 cylinder l have owned.
Surely a thing of the past and not present in modern engines.
You are not talking of “pinking” are you? (Look it up if you don’t know what it is)
I certainly know what 'pinking' is and it would certainly not occur at cold start also, it's a totally different noise. Being a 3 cylinder engine it could well have a different inherent sound.
Piston slap is not necessarily a thing of the past but with the latest engine design, materials and tolerance control, is much less common unless of course you've re-built your engine with forged pistons!
The high pressure fuel pump on my Focus RS is very noticeable especially when cold - could be a similar situation on the ST
JohnD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts