1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
After having 4 tyres fitted 4 months ago

Look at the tyre pressure every 2 weeks
They all lose no pressure but the front left tyre always seems to lose about 2 ps after 2 weeks
Strangely after 4 weeks its still only lost about 2psi
Would this be normal
Thankyou

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
Seems odd. Possibly a leak around the bead somewhere and as it deflates it nips up the leak?
Maybe get the wheel off and run some soapy water around it and see if you can track it down.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Are you checking the tyres cold at each check and at roughly the same ambient temperature? If you checking them cold then again after you have been out for a rag then you could see different pressures. Mighta also be worth cross referencing the pressure gauge your using as a swing of 2 PSI on some isnt beyond the working tolerance check to check especially on some dgital ones as ive had my fair share of wrong uns over the years that swing all over the shop between checks.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you checking the tyres cold at each check and at roughly the same ambient temperature? If you checking them cold then again after you have been out for a rag then you could see different pressures. Mighta also be worth cross referencing the pressure gauge your using as a swing of 2 PSI on some isnt beyond the working tolerance check to check especially on some dgital ones as ive had my fair share of wrong uns over the years that swing all over the shop between checks.
They are done before any drive mate
The same ambient temp not always but would of thought the temp outside would of affected them all the same
Not sure about your last point bud
Mthenln state the tolerance is 0.5 psi but who knows just strange they are all spot on other than the one tyre

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Just for reference i was brought a Michelin gauge last Chrimbo, image attached. I wouldnt even use it for my push bike as the pressure it measures changes like the weather. Thought a branded gauge would be o.k but its terrible.
Eye glass accessory Font Tints and shades Composite material Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I was losing a small amount of pressure on the rear passenger wheel. Turned out to be the valve that was worn which sheered off during its MOT which caused my car to fail. The mechanic had to put the space saver on so he could drive the car round to the front of the garage to fit a new valve to the tyre. The car then also failed its MOT for having an incorrect wheel/tyre on the rear axle!

Picture of said valve that had been on the car for approx 5 years

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Automotive tire

·
Registered
306 Posts
:O that's a good one! So kind of your mechanic to fail you for that too :ROFLMAO:

All my tyre pressure issues (slow leaks and TPMS warnings) were always due to the crap metal valves Ford fitted and the naff OE alloys. One tyre place explained that you'd end up with an imperfect seal for various reasons which was fundamentally impossible to really sort, you could try softer washers and gaskets and go with rubber valve stems but it was only a stopgap. And black rubber stems on the painted alloys? Yuck no thanks.

Went through three Ford valves and also a couple of Ford TPMS sensors thanks to an overzealous tyre fitter before I got fed up. Didn't want rubber valves so changed to Huf metal valves and TPMS sensors. Four wheels' worth for the price of one from Ford. I got mine from TPMS Warehouse but I'm sure they're available all over the place. I had to code the sensors to my car which meant I had to buy the Motorcraft TPMS activator which looks like a garage door remote (I actually bought a cheap clone of the Motorcraft one, sssh).

Huf stems and TPMS sensors have been working perfectly on my wheels since being fitted. No meaningful PSI changes over the last two years, only a handful here and there with big temperature changes through seasons. They're designed with integrated sacrificial crush washers - you can't remove them or swap to new wheels without buying a new stem, but that's OK. They form a tight seal and won't budge quickly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts