Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hello >_> bit of a disaster realy.... every now and then when im 2nd gear, only when not on the accelerator or with the clutch pushed down.. (so when going slowly round a corner ect, it sometimes pops out of gear!

any idears on this 1? ive got a few months warrenty left... i think its a gearbox issue but has any1 ese had this before? the cars only done 23k miles. all is standard other than a mountune induction and catback.

ty mark

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess this could be the cause... ive read about problems with syncros but i was doubtfull as there only used for smooth changes? and should have no effect when not actually using the clutch pedal?

if the link isnt moving enuf could it be that its not fully engaging the gear? the gear lever in the car is firmly in the correct place, its not like its only slightly in 2nd.... =\ i realy dont want it to get a box fault because ill have 1 hell of a battle to get ford to replace a gearbox >.<

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the car booked in at emg ford, gota take it in on thursday.. so ill have a nice lil 1.2 fiesta to drive about!

checked all the mounts and the selecter rods and linkages today, gearbox mount is a little weak but not enuf to warrent a replacement.. the linkages are all good and 2nd gear is fully engaging when selecting, looks to me like a gearbox fault. guess ill just have to c what ford say... and argue it out with them. the problems is guna be that its not doing it every time, its done it 4 times in the last 2-300 miles and sods law it will be fine when they take it out...

any idears what aproach i should take? do i tell them i work in a garage and that ive had a look at the mounts and linkages, then suggest that its a gearbox fault? i dont wana come across as 1 of those annoying customers that knows it all and telling them there job =\

or do i just let them look and c what they say?

thanks all, mark.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was it when u went from 3rd to 2nd, and then coasted? >.< love my car and i want it rite! so annoying

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeh third to second dumped the clutch round a bend, then road second down a hill (cars both sides of road so i did it gently) near the bottom it just popped out was weird coz i still had my hand on the gear stick it just popped out gently.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yh :( its so anoying... did it twice when i was out eairlier... and then nealy a 3rd time, causing it to crunch slightly as i put into 2nd -.-

apparently there is a techincal bulitin about it.... so ford should no about the fault! 2nd gear and the syncros for 1st and 2nd need replacing... i fear its going to be 1 hell of a fight to get anything done under warrenty

·
Registered
75 Posts
yh :( its so anoying... did it twice when i was out eairlier... and then nealy a 3rd time, causing it to crunch slightly as i put into 2nd -.-

apparently there is a techincal bulitin about it.... so ford should no about the fault! 2nd gear and the syncros for 1st and 2nd need replacing... i fear its going to be 1 hell of a fight to get anything done under warrenty
lucky you i dont have any warranty

·
Registered
84 Posts
yep its the syncros, did mine today got a complete gear set brand new off ebay for 45quid and it cost 10quid for seals. if youve got a bit of mechanical knowalage bahind you its really easy to do. save a cost or a recon box and labour

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
do u have to remove the box ? or can u just lower the box and take the end cover off?

did u get it from an ebay seller advertising that there removed from new gearboxes to make way for rally internals?

ty, mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts