Fiesta ST Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ST people.

Looking to spray the dull grey exterior plastics on my ST150 next week.

Can anyone recommend a decent product to use?

Going for gloss black finish on the front grills and fogs and rear reflectors, not doing rear bumper bits as have a Maxton diffuser to fit.

I know getting it done professionally would be best but doing this on a budget.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Wouldn't bother with 1k rattle cans. Finish just it's tough enough to with stand stone chips. I recently lashed my spliter with rattle cans and it's an sorry state now. Going to take it off and get my m8 to paint it in 2k.

·
Super Moderator
23,524 Posts
Product isn't the main concern, prep and method is.

Make sure you clean, clean, clean. Apply a decent primer and allow plenty of drying time. Then apply thin coats, too thick will end up running and more likely to chip and chip deep when it does.

There is a link in my Mk7 project thread to my old Mk6 ST (not ZS) thread which has an index with links in the first post. I painted several parts if you want to take a look.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not even seen 1K in my searches so will steer clear if it pop up then thanks!

And oyes its all in the prep for sure! Was planning on using filler primer, sanding it back then prime it, sand lightly and then as you say very light coats applied from afar!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry 1k is basically rattle cans. You can get 2k rattle cans. They have a pin at the base of the cans you pull to release the hardener.
Right I am with you know, this is something I did not know. Thanks for the info I will look into this some more then

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,534 Posts
Not too afar as the atomised paint can then dry prior to contact leaving a powdery sandy type finish. Spraying is a bit of an art form get it right though and it can save you ££££s, my advice would be to always do a tester first, and as said prep, prep, prep! then paint in light coats remembering to start and stop off the component..... and most importantly DON'T RUSH!!! I have so many times ruined almost perfect finishes by "just" trying to fill that little bit I missed rather than just accepting that I will need to give it yet another coat! :huh:

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vey wise words there! And I will be starting small with the rear reflectors then the fogs before the grills. And at the end of the day if I balls it up so bad it ain't the end of the world as can sand it back and start again..... or just pay a guy haha

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Morning, did this on a budget and tried a number on paints etc.. on different parts to see what was what. Cheap spray is thin and can run.

As the others had said, PREP prep PREP.

Degrease, APC, washing up liquid, anthing to get the years of dirt, grime, tar etc.

Keying the surface scotch and wet/dry grade can be given if needed.

Used;
HOLST SIMP22 Car Spray Paint
HOLST SIMP15 Simoniz Acrylic Black 500ml Aerosol Paint
E-Tech ER00102-ET Surface Paint Deep Cleaner Spray Pre Primer
Autotek AT00PPG500 500ml Plastic Primer - Grey
Autotek AT000GB500 500ml Black Gloss Paint

If in no rush, ebay is cheaper but check out Sprayster spend £24 they will "TRY*" and get it to you in 24hrs their prices on some products are unbeatable.

The Autotek, is not very good - Got the Simoniz after was okay, but Hycote is better.

Paint shops can knock you something up at more cost.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Djgalloway good advice there as I was looking at the Autotek stuff the other day.

A few things to consider then will be having a online shopping session this weekend!

Thanks mate

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I'm definitely the wrong person to ask about this, I really like the grey plastics. Keep them as they are, your going to be forever touching them up.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@###simon###

That's fair enough mate its all down to personal preference but I have shinny gloss wheels and fitting new splitters soon so the grey will stick out like a sore thumb!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went for Hycote. I did post a picture but has not saved for whatever reason.

Have not started the main front grill as there is a knackered TRC splitter drilled in so need to jack it up and get it off but may be better off removing front bumper as a new Maxton V2 splitter arrived yesterday!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts