Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, recently bought an st150 which is in pretty decent condition for the price I paid, however I’ve noticed when I put my foot down to the floor (in any gear) there’s a rattle noise which sounds like it’s coming from the exhaust somewhere. The previous owner told me there’s a leak in the exhaust system but I wouldn’t expect it to cause a rattling noise but I’ve read about heatshields and the hangers becoming rotten underneath. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the problem?
Many thanks

· Super Moderator
30,731 Posts
Sounds like heat shield to me, there are a few down the line so can't say which...sadly you're going to have to get underneath (safely) and take a look.

That said, I would be getting that exhaust leak sorted asap! Was a terrible incident where a young couple died due to an exhaust leak, letting carbon monoxide leak into the cabin.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like heat shield to me, there are a few down the line so can't say which...sadly you're going to have to get underneath (safely) and take a look.

That said, I would be getting that exhaust leak sorted asap! Was a terrible incident where a young couple died due to an exhaust leak, letting carbon monoxide leak into the cabin.
Cheers, the exhaust is a decat straight through so I’m going to change the exhaust anyway so I should hopefully find the problem

· Administrator
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift ), 2005, MK6 zetec S
1,461 Posts
Hi chpmn,
Heatshields sound likely, they don't normally corrode, as they are ally, but do work loose as they are only held up by round spring clips, I tried to find a link to a post recently where the owner had the same problem, found the loose clip took it off and made up a square of old coke can ( other soft drink cans are available ) then put a hole in it slid the square up onto the mounting lug and put the clip back.
Jobs a good un.
Good Luck
Al

· Registered
26 Posts
My central hanger from the chassis to the exhaust had sheared off and was rattling , do a check on yours. I had to re weld it on.

I found that it only happened during acceleration as the engine rotates and it pulled the hanger into contact making the sound
Same experience here. The engine moves a lot with the original engine and transmission roll restrictor.

Have also experienced that the heat shield around the fastener corrodes (due to galvanic corrosion). Have fixed this with new fastener and big (about 5 cm diameter) shims made out of stainless steel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts