Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 2020 2nd year service its only done 4000 miles and the dealer says there is 3mm left on the rear pads, surely that's not correct its hardly done any mileage, no track days mostly just town driving.

· Registered
271 Posts
That can’t be right.
On my 3rd year service in July last year and first MOT @ approximately 15k no mention of front or rear brake pads and l did ask.
l am the last of the late brakers too so brake fairly hard.
Yours could be binding or your handbrake isn’t fully off.

· Premium Member
Fiesta ST Edition
1,543 Posts
If mechanics isn't your thing I'd go somewhere independent and have them checked. I know that the rear discs are prone to scoring but never heard of premature pad where unless as ZoSo mentioned.

But not all dealers aren't known for being completely honest.

· Registered
767 Posts
6 months 👀

Mine looked bad after 2 months and 1000 miles.

I'll be swapping soon, not sure what for but not Ford replacements.
To be honest I’ve done so many miles in so few months it’s not something I’ve looked at a lot, they’ve probably been bad for months but I haven’t lost faith in them just yet

· Registered
530 Posts
6 months 👀

Mine looked bad after 2 months and 1000 miles.

I'll be swapping soon, not sure what for but not Ford replacements.
Yes me too Rear Discs are looking bad very quickly. I even took the callipers apart and pads and clean them out 1 a year. I think EBC Discs and pads all around will do it. They good quality and price is good too.

Going to get them checked by a mechanic I know, see what the real deal is.
Ryan get yourself this Amazon.co.uk

and check it yourself. You don't even have to take the wheels off the ST plenty of room. IMO I will get the wheels off you get better access

· Premium Member
113 Posts
If my experience is anything to go by Ford stock discs are rubbish, mine were starting to flake pieces off inside the vents after 23k miles, rear discs were badly worn with ridges on them and pads were well down too. I had a 66 plate Golf R and they ate rear stock discs mine were changed at 18k and looked rubbish well before that.

I've put EBC plain discs and yellowstuff pads in my ST last year and they still look like new and have a much better feel than the stock Ford kit too. I'm debating a BBK on my ST but will switch hoses for braided ones what ever I do next.

· Registered
530 Posts
If my experience is anything to go by Ford stock discs are rubbish, mine were starting to flake pieces off inside the vents after 23k miles, rear discs were badly worn with ridges on them and pads were well down too. I had a 66 plate Golf R and they ate rear stock discs mine were changed at 18k and looked rubbish well before that.

I've put EBC plain discs and yellowstuff pads in my ST last year and they still look like new and have a much better feel than the stock Ford kit too. I'm debating a BBK on my ST but will switch hoses for braided ones what ever I do next.
Do you know if the EBC Ultimax Grooved are noisier? I am debating between Green or Ultimax Brake Pads. Is, yellowstuff is more track use?

· Premium Member
113 Posts
Hi the Ultimax are claimed to be quiet but I've not used them but maybe some one else on here might advise if they have?

Yellowstuff are a fast road pad but not a full track pad, they'd be ok for something like a hillclimb where it's a short sprint but not lap after lap. Yellowstuff are a step up from stock pads, firmer pedal feel, more initial bite but less brake dust and no noise to speak of in wet or dry. Some track pads squeal like crazy at normal road speeds until they get heat into them.

Yellowstuff are the next step up from Greenstuff and more heat resistant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts