Fiesta ST Forums banner

Rear valance with fins

7K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  JohnJ 
#1 ·
This is the support topic for the tutorial:

Rear valance with fins

Please reply here if you have any questions or comments about this article.

If you can add any additional information or images, you have the ability to edit this tutorial by clicking the link above.

Please note, tutorials are made by club members. FiestaSTOC.com takes no responsibility as to the content or accuracy of the article. Any modifications or changes to your ST is taken at your own risk.

#4 ·
Getting there mate
Make sure to keep a log of all the time you have spent designing and making it

Swiss: I don't think everyone will. Certain people like Nobby and myself enjoy spending lots of time on challenges. Its not incredibly difficult to make but they do take a lot of time to get perfect and can be very expensive to make one without the tools. Until mine, I had only seen Tantes made in the last year.

Si

#5 ·
so far it took 30 mins for the template, and 4 hours to cut the first fin out, not to mention the 3 hours i spent making one completely wrong lol

as si says i like the challenge, he did try and convince me to stop and see sense but i need something to do this weekend, should be finished by sunday

nobby

#6 ·
I have made one of these for my 500 a few weeks back and I will say now its not as easy as people may think !! To get the fins perfect takes alot of time as they arent all the same (if you want it perfect)

Ashton I totally understand the she-ite you went through making the 10 you did !!

#14 ·
more pics:

fins sanded and labeled

valance sanded ready for bonding,

anyone who isn't sure about painting their plastics black that above pics says it all for me, the grey is horrible

there wont be any updates until tomorrow night hopefully as the glue i have takes 16 hours to bond

nobby

#15 ·
Cant wait to see the finished product Nobby

Very impressed with how professional its turned out to look. Will look awesome once its sprayed up and on the car.

Sadly i have access to literally no tools, buti do have handymen relatives im sure i could get in touch with. I'm wondering if thats the way the other fins are put on (with the pegs). You could make fins and charge for a 4 fin set! Then just give instructions how to drill the holes necessary and what glue to bond it with

Mind asking what the price for it all has been so far with the plastic/pegs etc?

#16 ·
they're actually screwed and bonded on, looks like pegs because you can see where they were drilled,

cost me £20 for the plastic and i have enough left for 19 fins
screws were £5
glue was £3
primer is £5 a tin
top coat is £5 a tin

so £38 in total

but obviously if i had to buy a dremel and hacksaw and coping saw etc the cost would of been about £50 more expensive, still not bad though

i'm gonna try and make a template for the fins so people can print it out and use it as a stencil if they do their own, that will cut down some of the time

also going to invest in a jigsaw to cut the rest of the fins out when i have the spare cash

nobby

#17 ·
QUOTE(nibble_nobble @ Oct 11 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>they're actually screwed and bonded on, looks like pegs because you can see where they were drilled,

cost me £20 for the plastic and i have enough left for 19 fins
screws were £5
glue was £3
primer is £5 a tin
top coat is £5 a tin

so £38 in total

but obviously if i had to buy a dremel and hacksaw and coping saw etc the cost would of been about £50 more expensive, still not bad though

i'm gonna try and make a template for the fins so people can print it out and use it as a stencil if they do their own, that will cut down some of the time

also going to invest in a jigsaw to cut the rest of the fins out when i have the spare cash

nobby

Looks great mate.

That would be awesome if you could do a stencil, would save me loads of time haha

Also what thickness is the plastic you used?

Cheers Matt

#19 ·
have faith in the modding community si

few more pics

primered up and requires that last little bit of touching up before the top coat

more detail of the fins

they are currently in the shed drying, will be sanded in half an hour and first top coat applied

stencil is nearly done too

nobby

#21 ·
QUOTE(nibble_nobble @ Oct 12 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>have faith in the modding community si

few more pics

primered up and requires that last little bit of touching up before the top coat

more detail of the fins

they are currently in the shed drying, will be sanded in half an hour and first top coat applied

stencil is nearly done too

nobby

Mate your a god for the stencil haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.