Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying some rear wheel spacers. Just want to bolt them on, I've heard some have problems with the ABS sensor etc

Looking at about 20mm each side, I've seen the Eibach ones but they are pretty pricey.

Anyone recommend any decent/cheap ones?

·
Registered
229 Posts
What are the pros and cons of wheel spacers compared to axle spacers then to justify the massive differences in price?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Wheel spacers i would avoid. They are more expensive as they are easier to fit but they put more pressure on tje hubs and can damage them. Hub spacers are cheaper as they are harder to fit but they are better as they dont have the effect above.

Things to remember when fitting.
-Make sure the bolts are the correct length as most supply bolts to fit 20mm spacers.
-Disconnect the battery to avoid any sensor issues.
-Be gentle with the abs sensore bolts are easy to snap and the sensors are fragile.
-If you have problems removing tje handbrake cable slacken it off in the cabin.
-i would put the spacers on the outside of the disc card so that remains closer to the disc, some guides suggest the otherway

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would say if your confident enough at doing it you should generally know what your doing!

Hub spacers are easier, because generally you only require to remove the wheel fit the spacer then re-fit the wheel.
Some are more complicated because you need to swap over studs, but this is usually still easier.

Hub spacers ARE more difficult. It involves removing the hub, which dependant on vehicle can end up needing to remove brakes and just like the ST you need to remove the ABS sensor.

To start with you do NOT need to disconnect your battery, if you were to cause the abs light to come on then you've damaged the sensor and when you re connect the battery you will still get the abs light

Also you do NOT need to disconnect your hand brake cable, there have been people fitting brake pads that have disconnected the cable and its not needed. Its alot of effort for nothing.

The disc gaurd im not sure how toby means, but i have fitted my spacers directly to the axle and then the disc gaurd then the hub, simply because if you are fitting 20mm spacers and fit it between the axle and hub you introduce a 20mm gap between the disc and the gaurd, this then allows any dirt or debri to get behind the disc and potentially cause damage!

The hub spacers are in the long run potentially a cost saving. The wheel spacers push the wheel further away from the hub/wheel bearing, which causes unwanted stress on the wheel bearing more then it would normally cope with.

So the hub spacer pushes the wheel out but keeps the same distance between the wheel and the bearing, this keeps the same pressure/stress on the wheel bearing which in turn over time will give the wheel bearing a longer life.

i have a kit from puma speed, which cost me around £28 and took me under an hour to fit both sides. They are genuine Ford items, because this is what they fitted to the ford racing puma, and the works rally cars. you can buy them from Ford but i am unsure of the finis code. it is on the forum somewhere!

·
Registered
229 Posts
What are the pros and cons of wheel spacers compared to axle spacers then to justify the massive differences in price?
Just seen this thread, hub spacers are better than others for a variety of reasons

If you wish to attempt it yourself check out my thread here: http://www.fiestasto...r-axle-spacers/
[/quote]

I just got confused becuase usually for the better product you pay more, this isn't the case with spacers though.

Glad I went for the hub spacers though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts