Fiesta ST Forums banner
3341 - 3360 of 3371 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Following an old Vauxhall Vectra this morning with lad driving and I assume his girlfriend in the passenger seat.
I eased back as he started to drift left and right.
Out pops the girl's hand holding a burger only to be followed by the lad's hand with his burger in what I can only assume to be a burger cooling exercise :facepalm:
Obviously couldn't wait to park up somewhere to eat :censored:

·
Registered
298 Posts
People probably have more stories of me than the other way around...used to have a long-ish commute on a 2-lane road, with people commonly driving 40 on a 60 zone (approximating km/h to mph) and I have never had much patience for that sort. So I had a 2.2 TDCi Mondeo as my commuter, just to make my life bearable. Overtaking relaxes like nothing else.

Usually I drove at a reasonable speed anyway, about 5+calibration over the limit on the cruise, and tried to time my commute to quiet hours. Benefits of flexible hours. Anyways...this one time I overtook a short queue, white van followed by, among others, a <10 yr old 3-series. Well as you know, overtaking a beemer on a 13 year old mondy is against the natural order of things so after a while zoom he goes. Fine by me, I just want to drive my own drive so keep cruising on...but just before the next long straight he starts slowing way down. Uh-oh. So it wasn't enough to overtake, you need to humiliate the poor mondeo-man to reclaim your pride, I get it. Well, not your day old buddy old pal. Coming on boost on fifth the old coal burner is deceptively quick, will leave for instance mk8 ST behind (barely but anyway), and it so happens by the time I was signalling to overtake I had the revs right where I wanted them.

The look on the guys face was priceless when he was practically standing still compared to me. Still warms me when I recall it...

Ok, short disclaimer: Despite my bad habits, I don't usually race on public roads. When I have to deal with stuff like this, I make sure that there is sufficient stretch of clear road, good visibility, and an overwhelming advantage. In this case I had clocked the beemers acceleration when he overtook me earlier, the road was familiar, visibility was clear for double the stretch I needed and returning to my own lane there was at least the minimum recommended safe distance between us(despite his best efforts). The unsafe and unjustifiable bit was the end velocity of 110...but that made sure he lost all motivation of overtaking me again. So, safe-ish.

Funny thing though - I had more silly stuff like this happen to me in the nondescript mondeo than in any XR or Cossie Sierra. I guess people here only want to challenge easy prey.

·
&quot;Race Red Owner&quot;
6,582 Posts
:laughing: So true!!

At least though pot holes I can slalom round whilst keeping the speed up...... it's these old spray on grit type roads where they use a ratio of 1 mm2 tar to 50mm2 gravel then reply on the subsequent 2 weeks of road users to remove the excess in their wheel wells and underbodies before they then paint the road markings....

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Well at 74 I've owned hot hatches all my life after MGB's disappeared, my last 2 being Corsa VXR Club Sports so i'm not new to them.
However I've had my ST3 Magnetic grey for over 6 months now and have never had so many cars (not hot hatches themselves) tailgating me around town and I am driving 'normal' and not making myself a 'target' by tearing around.

What is it about these or I am the only one ?

PS I don't wear a baseball cap !

·
6,582 Posts
So my question is should I send the video of this on to the police.....

It was not my car but my other half who told me that last week when she was driving she let a big 4B4 pass her and the infant was in the driving seat steering the car.

I was horrified that someone could be so irresponsible as to be on a public road with a child so young in the drivers seat and actually wonder if the parent had even thought of the repercussions should for instance a car pull out and cause the airbag to go off...... I guarantee the baby would be dead... Let alone the possibility that the kid could suddenly pull at the steering causing an impact.... oh and it's illegal....

So not fully believing what she had told me I took out the memory card and proceeded to see if what she said she had seen was true.... and it was, the kid even waved back to say thanks for letting them through.

Here is a still of the video though, what does everyone think? Am I over reacting saying I should report them? For other minor road instances I would probably block out the Reg but in this case I will leave it up....

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 21.45.00.png

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 21.45.00 copy.png

Attachments

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Theres a website where you can send dash cam footage to the police. Next base you call it.

Ive had people overtaking me while doing 30mph in a 30 zone quit a few times, get loads of people tailgating and what i tend to do is do about 27 / 28 that gets them wound up.

One time many years ago, was going down a dual carriageway on a 50 mph, i was casually behind and all of a sudden they through rubbish outside of the window, I flashed at them with the headlights you cant do that, and cant remember if it was the driver or passenger but they stuck their finger at me.

·
6,582 Posts
God please Mr Justice introduce a law to allow drivers to ram other cars if they travel tooooooo slow up slip roads :rofl:

When will people realise that the slip roads are designed to allow the road users TO GET UP TO OR DOWN TO the oncoming traffic speed to make the entry merging as safe as possible...

WHY THE **** DO SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE LAST 10 YEARS THINK TRAVELLING DOWN THE SLIP ROADS AT 35 MPH THEN TRYING TO IN THE LAST 20 METRES PULL IN AND GET UP TO SPEED

OR JUST AS BAD SLAM ON THE ANCHORS ON A 70 MPH ROAD CAUSING ALL TRAFFIC TO SWERVE THEN ENTER THE SLIP ROAD AT 30 MPH TRAVELLING THE NEXT 300 METRES AT 30 MPH!!!

These people should be given points! :rant: :rant: :rant:

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,046 Posts
Plonkers with the "self-dipping" full beam headlights driving behind, too stupid to realise it doesn't work on rear lights of a car in front and so dazzling me from behind with full beam on.

Happened twice within a few months, the second time when they passed me I give them a taste of their own ignorance... just to let them know their error for the safety of other road users of course.

·
6,582 Posts
@_jimmy_ They do dip on the Mk8 for rear view lights but they are just very unreliable in their effect - it's not just rear lights though also oncoming trucks who countless times have flashed me from 1/2 mile away to dip my lights (which in turn amusingly makes my lights momentarily dip the go back to full bean just to annoy the trucker even more and make it look like i'm taking the **** out of them!!!) I generally override mine a few dozen times on my commute home after nightshift to be courteous to other road users...

3341 - 3360 of 3371 Posts