Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo...

I was given links about this in the shoutbox a few days ago but I didn't save them, and I've got updates about the problem.

I've had a Milltek resonated catback fitted to my facelift ST by JamSport but I noticed that the tailpipe sat very close to the rear bumper in the standard cut-out section. When I start the engine, leave it in neutral or I'm driving very slowly in 1st/2nd gear the exhaust rattles against the rear bumper.

The staff at JamSport told me that this is a common problem because the standard rubber mounts on facelift STs are different/shorter than pre-facelift STs, and the hight adjustable hooks on the exhaust are already set to their lowest position. They said they could attempt to readjust the positioning of the catback to try and move it further away from the bumper but JamSport is over an hour away from me. I went to a local Rapid Fit garage who tried readjusting but they couldn't get it any further away than it already is.

JamSport's only other solution was to custom cut the bumper's standard cut-out section for the exhaust to make it bigger, which I'd rather not pay for.

Does anyone know anywhere that sells exhaust mounts which will fit a facelift ST and are just a bit longer than the standard ones? I'm sure there has to be a compatible set of mounts out there somewhere, I can't be the first person looking for replacements.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
the rubber mounts are the same on all fiestas, so its nothing to do with those. Certainly sounds like something isn't fitted right.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gah! Why isn't this straight forward?!

Does that mean JamSport lied to me about the different rubber mount sizes? They seemed to be telling the truth, but I found it odd that they didn't mention this 'known issue' until I pointed it out. Surely if it was a known issue then they would have told me about it when I bought the catback. And unless the guys at Rapid Fit are completely dense, why couldn't they figure out how to make it any lower?

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
the rear most hanger is in a slightly different position but shouldn't make much of a difference. Im certain the S pipe is probably not on at the right angle so is pushing the back box up. If you were closer id have a look myself :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
Youll probaly need to get under the car to have a look, i usually just bump my car up a curb and it gives me enough room to get under the rear, you need to loose the clamps either side of the s blend. Once its loosened you can twist the sblend to move the back box up and down. However dont drop the back box too much as it may cause your exhaust to rise up to much and rattle under the gearbox. you need the get it just so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the info guys!

I don't want to start messing around with the exhaust without supervision from someone who knows what they're doing!

Overlag if only you were closer. I would have made a road trip out of it but I'm trying to save as much money as possible at the moment and that'd be at least a full tank of petrol for the round trip. I guess I'll have to go back to JamSport and see if they can reposition it.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
You can get stiffened 3rd party hangers with extra holes so you can adjust position of the exhaust, I wonder if this would help? Here's a picture I've just taken so you can compare (oem on the left, 3rd party alternative on the right):

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks great st07! When my catback was being fitted I think they took off 2 of that oem design, but others have told me that 1 of the mounts is more triangular and fits into a special gap in the chassis rather than having a hole at each end. I'll have to try and check which ones my car has...

Do you know where I can order that 3rd party mount?

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
I can't remember, it was a while ago. Probably best to wait for Overlag and others to comment first and to have your exhaust looked at, as it would be odd that if facelift/pre-facelift mounts are the same that you're suffering from a knocking exhaust where other people don't. I'll try and find a link for the blue rubber mount in the mean time.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
The rear most hanger won't fit with these rubbers Ben posted however that may help by raising it up before the back box is the end of the box drops??

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
That looks great st07! When my catback was being fitted I think they took off 2 of that oem design, but others have told me that 1 of the mounts is more triangular and fits into a special gap in the chassis rather than having a hole at each end. I'll have to try and check which ones my car has...

Do you know where I can order that 3rd party mount?
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Ford+Focus+Exhaust+Mount/1554.html

that is the rear most mount. And it will probably make your problem worse, as its a bit too short, where as the standard rubber one stretches more and the box drops as a result.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The original bush fixes into the body work so you need to extend your rear exhaust bush, its not a case of its fitted wrong its the overall difference in the bore size that makes it touch the valance, i work in a car spares warehouse and just got another bush to extend the original by about an inch and used a good size tie-wrap to secure it, works a treat

If you struggle getting the right bush ill find the part number at work and let you know, they are Klarius bushes so the part number will be the same at every factors

Paul

·
Registered
777 Posts
personally i think jampsort have lied. Depends on what you want to do.
Free way - get the car up on axles stands and loosen the clamps and adjust it so it sits lower (if the adjustable bracket is allreayd on its lowest setting), the amount you can change the position of the exhaust by just twisiting it is amazing.

Money way - purchase some powerflex or other poly hanger for a couple of quid and hope it cures it.

Having said all that im not convinced you would hear it on the rear bumper as theres a lot of movement in the bumper and metal on plastic doesnt always produce a a great deal of noise.

I would suggest its more the exhaust on a heatshield around the the joint at the cat with the rest of the system or even where the exhaust bends

1 - 13 of 13 Posts