Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

posted a couple of weeks ago about buying a focus st but the insurance company wont cover me, however they will cover me on either a new 197 or 200 clio/clio cup, anyone had anything to do with one of these as i like the idea of 200 bhp in a small car, but dont like the idea of a s**te french interior!

opinions very welcome!

cheers

besty

·
Enthusiast
854 Posts
Might be worth looking at an Ibiza Cupra.

DSG gear box, 180 Standard and with a re-map can see almost 220

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers fellas, ian will look into them now, are they not expensive though?

keep the opinions comin!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I do like the sound and look of the cupra, just imagine they ain't cheap. plus how reliable are they

·
Enthusiast
854 Posts
cheers fellas, ian will look into them now, are they not expensive though?

keep the opinions comin!
They are abit more than other cars on the market, but when i was looking to sell my Fez it took me over 6 months to find a car that would be a suitable replacement.

I looked at 200s, VXRs, Coopers etc etc etc and when you look at what you get with it and the performance it the best smaller hot hatch on the market.

p.s. I can now out drag Corsa VXRs

·
Registered
504 Posts
Clio 200 is without doubt the best drivers car out of all of them. depends what you want.
That is pretty much what most views are by reputable bodies (whatcar, topgear etc) the Clio 200 is the best pound for pound hot hatch!

I know there was someone who had a Clio 200 cup and swapped for a Fez, can't remember who but hopefully he'll read this topic and tell you why.

Clio interior is getting better, I've had a clio sport before and they weren't the best! Go have a test drive!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Yeah as said ^ The Clio 200 Is a good upgrade.The Interior's are pretty poor though.

The Ibiza that Ianmr mentioned Is also a good shout,However I dont like the fact that you can only get a DSG!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
the 200 is a great car but still very overpriced. i thought the 197 was good but a friend had one on track and with its apparently mightly power it couldnt even stay behind me for more than 2 corners, that was before it cooked its brembos later on the session

have you considered waiting for the mk7 ST??

best of luck in whatever you get mate

Dave

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers for the input about the clio will definatly look into booking a test drive now, I thought they were meant to be v powerful compared to the ST but a fair few people elsewhere as well saying different.

had thought about hanging on for the new ST but i fancy straying away from the blue oval as to be honest ive had nothing but awful customer service from them, plus i prefer the look of the clios i think they look really nice in the right colour!

keep em comin

cheers

besty

·
Registered
493 Posts
If the Focus was your first choice then it's obviously power you're after and not handling prowess.
Going from that get Seat if you can afford it, or go for the Corsa VXR - but be sure it's what you're really after. I went from a Mountuned Fiesta to a Focus ST, and although in a straight line they are stupidly quick, and have a great interior everything else about it compared to my Fiesta was just boring, so much so that
I've just sold my EO Focus this week for £6800 just to get rid so I can get back into something more go kart like.

You really need to decide what you want because it can end up costing a few quid if you do get it wrong!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lol at some of the comments on here,clio 200 overpriced,brembos cooking and
interior and not being able too keep up with an ST
,not a good site too come onto if you want advice on cars other than fords.But for me would deffernatly be a 197 or 200 if I were you,the seats ibiza alright but I don't think it looks special enough for a hot hatch,and the renaults are proven by many too be extremly good drivers cars,but as said above somewhere it really depends if thats what you want.Shame you didn't live nearer essex,could have had a go of my 197 with posible option too buy,will be gutted but need 4 doors.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The Clios do seem a good drivers car, erm the Seat looks alittle dulll but I get to test one for a week, ill let you know what I think lol.

The Focus ST I drove did feel a heavy car (300kg be like having 4 12stone always in the car with you)

compaired to the Fiesta and it wasnt as much fun in the corners.

Have you dont anything to your fiesta?

What about a Honda Civic Type-R? (not the newest shape)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I for one who owns one can say that the 200 is a cracking car. Pound for pound the best buy on the market the words were when it got car of the year. Cars come with both good and bad picks of the bunch as we all know. Ive had no issues with mine after 17 months of ownership and have loved every minute. Negatives are always spoken on any forum so its expected. Im just sharing my experience. A large percentage of people recommend turbo'd hatches that can be mapped up and have x more power are the ones to go for which is never the case, its about the complete package for me as others have their own boxes to tick. A full tank of fuel seen me through 540 miles of motorway driving which is brilliant in my eyes. From owning a fez 500 and going to this, its a whole new experience. People who have test drove one for 10 mins will not have had the full benefits of the 200 guaranteed. The only way i can see somebody trading one in for a fez is if they have had a string of problems with it or the insurance is more.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I for one who owns one can say that the 200 is a cracking car. Pound for pound the best buy on the market the words were when it got car of the year. Cars come with both good and bad picks of the bunch as we all know. Ive had no issues with mine after 17 months of ownership and have loved every minute. Negatives are always spoken on any forum so its expected. Im just sharing my experience. A large percentage of people recommend turbo'd hatches that can be mapped up and have x more power are the ones to go for which is never the case, its about the complete package for me as others have their own boxes to tick. A full tank of fuel seen me through 540 miles of motorway driving which is brilliant in my eyes. From owning a fez 500 and going to this, its a whole new experience. People who have test drove one for 10 mins will not have had the full benefits of the 200 guaranteed. The only way i can see somebody trading one in for a fez is if they have had a string of problems with it or the insurance is more.
couldnt agree more with "A large percentage of people recommend turbo'd hatches that can be mapped up and have x more power are the ones to go for which is never the case, its about the complete package"

my new ZS is no way near as quick as my ST, or many other cars, but i love the handling, the quality of the finish and styling in and out. Plus i wanted something which didnt cost as much to run and insure. also more peops i know seem to prefer it

·
Registered
860 Posts
supercharged mini cooper s....... go on!

If you can handle the looks, it's a cracking little car, easy power upgrades, and cracking handling, on the motorways it does 40 mpg. if you can stay off the whine of the charger! cheap to insure (in comparison) (however alot to tax). No boot/ rear seat space however.

mine with a few tweaks can easily see off focus st's+ civics in a straight line. and although i havnt tried it i'm pretty sure it will be even better than them in the corners!

interiors lovely too!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Seen as nobody has given the corsa VXR a chance, here goes.

Best seats, nice interior, best straight line performance, not to bad handling (but not the best) nothing springs can't sort out.
Definitely the nicest looking in the right colour (matter of opinion).

Potential to mod is awesome.

a stage 1 remap alone your looking at 225bhp 260 ftlb torque. Cost (£400-500).

If you've got the cash, stage 4 will see 380 horses and easily see off scoobies and evos. (mega monies needed tho).
All from a 1.6 engine.

Get ready for the ford boys to slate it now. Haha.

Ps : in tests the corsa VXR did the burg in .1 of a second slower that the Clio 200 RS so it can't be all bad in the handling department.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Here's my 2p's worth....

We could tell you to get this that and the other but at the end of the day It's YOU who Is going to be driving It Etc.The best thing to do Is to arrange a test drive with what you like and then then make a final decision to which one you like best.Of course our opinion's do help and are valid but just remember It's you who has to live with It.It seem's like your quite Intrested In the Clio so DEFFO arrange a test drive for one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts