Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Advice required. ( cause you lot are cleverer than me ) lol.

What are the pros and cons to turboing my ST. ?

So far I've got full Milteck exhaust and induction kit, should the next step be to fit cams or go turbo ?

I'm struggling to find companies close to me that can do, Puma speed is in LOndon, but the wroing side.

HELP - THX :devilish:

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Having done both supercharged and turbo setups, I would say it is only worth it you are willing to commit huge amounts of time and money into the car. Its not just as simple as just turboing it, there are a lot of supporting upgrades that will also need doing. Maybe not at first, but later down the line. Parts will often need to be one offs/ custom made, making further power upgrades even less straight forward, adding more time, and more money.
You could find something just as fast in standard form, and for less money than a turbo build would cost, and in turn have a better upgrade path with mods on top.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST150
126 Posts
Hey Alan,

Cams, inlet and a remap can see up to 200BHP depending on the health of the engine.

If I was looking for more serious power I would get a MK2 Focus ST as that starts at I think 225BHP with a turbo and then start modding that :)

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,089 Posts
It's tempting because the Mk6 is underpowered as standard but I think a good high revving NA can be a pretty wild car and probably more thrilling than a turbo in the long run, for much easier outlay. Easy torque from a turbo is nice and all but wringing every rpm out of the engine gives a certain satisfaction. When I occasionally drive mine on the limit on the road it's pretty damn quick.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
If you have the money and want it. Then have it you can get the kit for £2500odd, or buy someone's second hand for £1k

I am just trying to upgrade the inlet to a caterham one and running into some problems, then cams being installed, properly needs a remap and there's only two good places that can tune the standard ECU. I'm aiming for the 190/200s and I will be happy.

It's up to you, if I had the money, would be a supercharger kit, but the kit is worth more more than the car.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
First things first. A mk2 focus st isn't comparable in the slightest so don't let that even enter you mind for a contender as an 'upgrade'.
Secondly, and I am mirroring what has already been said. Unless you're going balls to the wall for a car that isn't a daily or in anyway practical, then I urge you to just forget the idea of forced induction.
You can run a low boost setup on the standard engine, the same way you can run 300bhp through the stock gearbox. People have done it, not many have got away with it for long.
I went balls to the wall because my biggest concern was having a car I was scared to open up and give a thrashing.
Think about what your end goal is and what you want from the car, how you want it to drive and where you will be driving it.
Once you know the answer, you can consider spearheading your 'build' in that direction, as in general the more modified a car gets, the less versatile it is.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Sure, 😂 an engine you can tune to over 500BHP is not an upgrade
If the original question is shall I turbo my mk6... Then no it is not an upgrade. They are two completely different cars.
I've been a passenger in a 600bhp Mk2 focus st (£40k, so a PROPER budget build), which was overtaken by a starlet sporting a 2L turbo.

If you want to join the big boys club rather than dreaming of it, a 2L turbo in a small chassis is infinatly the most cost efficient route you can go to get there. It'd also go round corners too, which is the full package.
If all you want is a dyno sheet and a motorway pull... Crack on.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having done both supercharged and turbo setups, I would say it is only worth it you are willing to commit huge amounts of time and money into the car. Its not just as simple as just turboing it, there are a lot of supporting upgrades that will also need doing. Maybe not at first, but later down the line. Parts will often need to be one offs/ custom made, making further power upgrades even less straight forward, adding more time, and more money.
You could find something just as fast in standard form, and for less money than a turbo build would cost, and in turn have a better upgrade path with mods on top.
THx mate (y)
Since my fist post I've been checking out Puma speeds site and their turbo upgrade has disappeared boo hoo, I take on board your points
I don't need a turbo _ I WANT 1 LOL
I can't really justify it though !!!!!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW,
u lot have been chatting away without me (when I was keeping the capitol running on nights, with a broken, which turns out now not to be broken wrist) :cool:
First things first. A mk2 focus st isn't comparable in the slightest so don't let that even enter you mind for a contender as an 'upgrade'.
Secondly, and I am mirroring what has already been said. Unless you're going balls to the wall for a car that isn't a daily or in anyway practical, then I urge you to just forget the idea of forced induction.
You can run a low boost setup on the standard engine, the same way you can run 300bhp through the stock gearbox. People have done it, not many have got away with it for long.
I went balls to the wall because my biggest concern was having a car I was scared to open up and give a thrashing.
Think about what your end goal is and what you want from the car, how you want it to drive and where you will be driving it.
Once you know the answer, you can consider spearheading your 'build' in that direction, as in general the more modified a car gets, the less versatile it is.
sound advice mate.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All,

Right, I was going to reply to this yesterday but after reading Marvs replies, he makes a critical point - "What do I want"
OK, I live in west london ( speed limits 20-40mph everywhere ) - Speed bumps everywhere.
90% of my driving will be on these roads.
What I want to achieve is better roll on acceleration (2nd/3rd gear stuff) just to give a bit more kick.
I had considered NOS but a big red button on the dash some might think tacky ( Thats a joke BTW).
Would cams help ( thats a dum question of course they would, but which make )
Thx

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Alan,

Cams, inlet and a remap can see up to 200BHP depending on the health of the engine.

If I was looking for more serious power I would get a MK2 Focus ST as that starts at I think 225BHP with a turbo and then start modding that :)
Hi Jeansy,
Which cams would u reccommend.

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,089 Posts
What I want to achieve is better roll on acceleration (2nd/3rd gear stuff) just to give a bit more kick.
I'd say you probably want something with a turbo for that sort of stuff yeah. Or a diesel. My 1 litre Rio turbo actually has decent roll on acceleration lol. Other option is to keep the ST in second or even first gear haha. Cams will be a step backwards for that sort of driving and kill low down torque unless paired with a torquey inlet like the mountune or fusion fabrications but even then it's more in the mid range before it really properly comes into its own, so you're looking at 30mph plus in second.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Hi All,

Right, I was going to reply to this yesterday but after reading Marvs replies, he makes a critical point - "What do I want"
OK, I live in west london ( speed limits 20-40mph everywhere ) - Speed bumps everywhere.
90% of my driving will be on these roads.
I had considered NOS but a big red button on the dash some might think tacky ( Thats a joke BTW).
Would cams help ( thats a dum question of course they would, but which make )
Thx
For what you want, a turbo diesel would be the best fit. Unless you want to light it up to 7k rpm in town.
I used to drive mine from Brands Hatch to Brixton everyday. In a 1.5 hour journey I wouldn't be on cam past Sidcup. So cams won't actually help you, they'll just narrow the versatility of the car.

1.6tdci mk6 with a decat, egr delete, induction kit and remap. That'll give you about 270nm+ of torque. More than any NA ST150.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts