Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after lockdown one I sold my Porsche Cayman to put some money in the bank as we were moving and I wasn't really using it much...spent more time polishing that driving it!

It is the first car I have even missed owning and now that I am seemingly forever stuck working from home having access to my own car is something I really miss.

So I have looked around and have a massive list of cars ranging from £5k to £40k that I am looking at. Thanks to all of the reviews online the ST-3 with Performance Pack is right up there too.

I test drove a Performance Blue 19 plate one on Tuesday, the first time I have driven one and I had a grin from ear to ear! It sounded great in sports mode and the handling and acceleration was absolutely great, easily as much fun as the Porsche ever was, certainly on the roads I drove it on in any case.

The list now only has two cars on it, a Fiesta ST-3 (with PP) and a nearly new Cayman.

So is there anything I need to know about the ST? Anything (other than the £20k+ saving) that might twist my arms towards the Fiesta?

·
Super Moderator
23,606 Posts
Cheaper repairs/servicing...
Cheaper insurance...
Probably cheaper to run, fuel wise...

If £20k saving up front wasn't enough, added to the fact you say it is just as much fun to drive as the Porsche.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another plus point for the ST (for me, anyway) would be the reduced fear of leaving it anywhere (car park, road, anywhere). I get enough of that fear with my ST Edition, so can't imagine what it'd be like if I had a Cayman.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Cheaper repairs/servicing...
Cheaper insurance...
Probably cheaper to run, fuel wise...
If £20k saving up front wasn't enough, added to the fact you say it is just as much fun to drive as the Porsche.
This. You said it yourself, it's as much fun as the Porsche.

Put it this way. I'm going to have a nice refreshing pint of beer in a riverside pub garden this afternoon. It'll be a pint of Tribute, a delicious widely available and inexpensive brew. If I had the option to import a more exclusive arti-fartisan beer from Germany for twice the price would it give me twice the enjoyment? No, it'd be just as deliciously enjoyable a beer as the other one... so why do it?

Smile miles per pound is the only equation you need consider. It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For the price point of the ST, I honestly don't think there is anything out there that can beat it.
The only issue I have with mine is the dash on the left and right has a squeak that drives me mad over rougher roads and I can't find where it's coming from.

It's great to read that people who have had much more prestigious cars love the ST, it really does show how good these little cars are!

·
Registered
141 Posts
From what I have noticed is that recent Fords suffer from plastic cracking on the window switches so pay attention for that. Otherwise it's a good car, especially with OEM adjustable coilovers or KW V3s and a LSD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two entirely different cars IMHO, it's all about what you would like to do with the car. The ST is certainly more usable and drivable, plus is great fun and low cost. Cayman on the other hand is arguably one of the best handling mid-engine car, albeit with considerably higher costs and reduced usability. If you loved Cayman´s nature and package, go for it, otherwise get the FiST and save that 20K (or get a used single seater LOL)

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
For the price point of the ST, I honestly don't think there is anything out there that can beat it.
The only issue I have with mine is the dash on the left and right has a squeak that drives me mad over rougher roads and I can't find where it's coming from.

It's great to read that people who have had much more prestigious cars love the ST, it really does show how good these little cars are!
Take it to the dealer to be looked at under warranty?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have just made the journey from a Porsche Boxster s (987) to an ST-3. I only picked up the ST last Saturday so it is early days. As all of the reviews tell you the ST is fun. Over the ground on a b road the ST is at least as quick as the Porsche. The stearing is very high geared so at first you continually turn in too soon. The ride is much more unsettled than the Porsche, my boxster just smoothed everything out at speed. The ST is more twitchy.

The big appeal for me is being able to do some mods to the Ford and to personalise it a bit.

If you go for the ST I don't think that you will regret it.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Your comparing apples with eggs.

Come from a line of M car's, Audi S's, 911 etc.

First sporty hatchbacks in years were several MK3.5 Focuses, bored me, should have bought the RS when it launched, big mistake.

Tried a Mk8 , loved it, absolute hoot to drive and fun. Chopped it for the PE, even more fun, but ultimately not radically different to base model, find a sensibly priced 2nd hand one, then it's the pick of the bunch. If you hate orange, then it's a problem, buy an ST3 and put some V3s on it.

Is it as good as 80Ks worth of Stuttgart's finest, simply....no, of course it's not then again it's a 1/4 of the price, does every journey make you feel like it's an occasion....no, but is it the right car for everyday driving on crowded, speed limited UK roads, with the added bonus of knowing you will go round most corners faster than the Porker...yes, it's addictive and after 2+ years of 2 Mk8s it's not worn off yet.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Your comparing apples with eggs.
Come from a line of M cars, Audi Ss, 911 etc.
First sporty hatchbacks in years were several MK3.5 Focuses, bored me, should have bought the RS when it launched, big mistake.
Tried a Mk8 , loved it, absolute hoot to drive and fun. Chopped it for the PE, even more fun, but ultimately not radically different to base model, find a sensibly priced 2nd hand one, then its the pick of the bunch. If you hate orange, then its a problem, buy an ST3 and put some V3s on it.

Is it as good as 80Ks worth of Stuttgarts finest, simply....no, of course its not then again its a 1/4 of the price, does every journey make you feel like its an occasion....no, but is it the right car for everyday driving on crowded, speed limited UK roads, with the added bonus of knowing you will go round most corners faster than the Porker...yes, its addictive and after 2+ years of 2 Mk8s its not worn off yet.
Cracking post 👍👌

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after turning up to 2 sold Caymans yesterday and an M4 that the dealer wanted me to go back and see once I had driven other cars on my list, so he knew I was serious (WTF)...a 2nd Hand 69 plate, in Performance Blue, Performance Pack, B&O with just over 10k miles is on autotrader.

Owner seems to be very honest and has said two front tyres are close, it has one kerbed wheel and a few stone chips on the bonnet and one on the roof(?)...He'd take £15.5k for it.

Can't help smiling thinking back to my test drive and the fact that i don't drive a lot, but when I do it is 0-40mph mainly...

Arghhh....so tempted.

How do I check the Performance pack is on there?

What mods do people tend to do to the car?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quite simply great! Even the drive to work makes me smile, this wasn’t the case pre ST

I’m on my second went from ST-2 to Performance Edition.
Both have been great can’t fault them. Most fun I’ve had with my clothes on in a long time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well after turning up to 2 sold Caymans yesterday and an M4 that the dealer wanted me to go back and see once I had driven other cars on my list, so he knew I was serious (WTF)...a 2nd Hand 69 plate, in Performance Blue, Performance Pack, B&O with just over 10k miles is on autotrader.

Owner seems to be very honest and has said two front tyres are close, it has one kerbed wheel and a few stone chips on the bonnet and one on the roof(?)...He'd take £15.5k for it.

Can't help smiling thinking back to my test drive and the fact that i don't drive a lot, but when I do it is 0-40mph mainly...

Arghhh....so tempted.

How do I check the Performance pack is on there?

What mods do people tend to do to the car?
it will likely have launch control on the screen. Or could check the Ford Etis I’m sure one of the gang on here could if they know the registration.
first mod
Waxoyl
It’s every Ford I’ve owned first mod as I’d like them to last.

·
Registered
MK8 Fiesta ST 2018 M235
3,035 Posts
For me the biggest thing would be the usability and price. Yes I would love to own a Cayman/Boxter/old 911 having learnt to drive with a heavily tuned VW Beetle and the fact that I loved the fact that you had to take that rear weight into consideration. But with the Fiesta is a really nice platform to just hoon around without worry, tuning parts are readily available, it's the only FWD car that you can actually "drift" not just slide a bit as the rear is always the first to step out. Diving into a corner under the speed limit on 3wheels sliding is addictive. Plus as some have said, you'd not be afraid to take it out and drive the wheels from it thinking about the value etc. If it gave you the smile and grin, go for it. If you don't like it after a month just sell it for profit. Mine still makes me smile after 3years.

EDIT: Oh and with the money left over you could really make Fiesta your own. Add power, change tires, even wrap/paint it if the colour wouldnt be what you are after. Make it a sleeper, make it stand out, change all the suspension etc etc. And it would still be under the Cayman price.

Oh and the biggest difference driving wise between those two is the fact that Cayman is fast but in a totally different way, do you want to feel to fully drive it without a constant fear of damaging some tiny part of it without any drama, or do you want to wrestle the oversteer, grip and learn the quirks of it and grin when you get a corner just right. Oh and not to fear on driving the car on gravel roads where Fiesta shines. You can just balance and adjust it on the throttle and brakes so easily and have it carve the corner straight or just in a tiny slide the whole corner without the fear that you will spin or being in constant fear that the rocks will damage it so heavily that its not worth anything by the end of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts