Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, i am spraying my plastics black to match colour of my car tomorrow.

Rather than taking them off i am going to try and mask the car up and spray on the car. Any views on this, have people failed lol.

Also do i buy, the panther black spray can or a different colour black. Any idea's of how many cans i will need?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I would take them off to be fair, will get a much better finish and no overspray through the grills etc...

Theres a guide on here that tells you how to remove them!

·
Registered
353 Posts
ive just done mine mate, you will need to take them off and its not too hard really,
the front grilles unclip and so does the surround but you will have to take your reg plate off and the fogs have one screw with a plastic back on them, the rear reflectors unclip and the rear valence has two plastic grub screws in them and they then unclip with the upper mesh
i would definatley suggest taking them off because its probably more effort to mask them up as it take me about 10 mins to take all the plastics off.
you will need:
  • 4 cans of 600ml plastic primer
  • 4 cans of 600ml panther black spray paint
  • 2 cans of clear laquer
  • patience
  • for
for the best results take your time in prep before spraying especially if you dont want them to flake or chip
have a look on page 2 of my project thread http://www.fiestastoc.com/forums/topic/61505-benjes-panther-black-st/page__st__15

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, very helpful, i will attempt to take them off first of all. Yours is how i hope mine will come out like lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks guys, very helpful, i will attempt to take them off first of all. Yours is how i hope mine will come out like lol
make sure that when you spray them up you wait till the paint is hard and not tacky to the touch before you laquer and when you are all sprayed up leave them off the car for 24hrs in a warm environment then rub loads of car wax on them to help seal the paint

and it stops dirt sticking and so you dont need to get close with the pressure washer

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
As said mate,You need to remove them unless you'll just fail.

There only Screwed/Clipped In so aren't too hard to remove,Just be careful and take your time

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes remove them! I tried masking them the first time and failed badly lol! I was hungover so i blame that
! Alot of nail polish remover fixed the over spray. I decided to take them out alot easier than i thought. Done right this time

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, i did them on saturday and decided to take them off. I found this very easy with the guides so a big thanks to everyones advice. Really pleased with the outcome now, they look awesome, i left them off for 24 hours, which was good as it rained lol.

I also managed to find time while waiting for them to try to paint my calipers red, I must say they look awesome, really pleased with the outcome. For such a small bit of time it makes a big difference for the visual of the car. Just waiting for my ford gel overlays to come then il put a picture up.

I would recommend to anyone spraying the grills to remove them. Some can be fiddly but patience is the key and its all pretty straight forward.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts