Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought an ST performance edition, and I'm not sure if my A/C compressor has an issue or if it's normal.

I keep the AC on all of the time, but I have noticed the compressor seems to make a noise while it's turned on.

First off I thought there was a brake binding slightly, as it makes almost a similar noise, but turning AC off makes the noise go.

You can hear it clearest when driving around small local streets.

I want to say its a metallic rubbing noise, almost like a bad bearing, but not grindy.

Is it something to get checked, or are the compressors just a bit noisy on these cars?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find the same thing on mine, it is more noticeable with the car stationary and you just touch the throttle up to say 2000 rev's and let it off again. There is a metallic whirring noise following the engine rev's that does sound similar to a worn bearing. Switch off the A/C and the sound goes completely. I have found that it only does it when the engine is fully warm though.
I wonder if the compressor is faulty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, it has been four months since it had a new compressor and would you believe the same noise has come back again?
The thing is, it only does it when the outside temperature is around 15 degrees or above and the car is at normal operating temperature. Pretty much as before really.
Getting fed up with this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After a trip back to the dealer, the replacement compressor is now confirmed as faulty too.
It again will be replaced under warranty, but they are on back-order with Ford and there will be a short delay apparently.
When it arrives, I will of course return back to the dealer to have it replaced.

By now, it seems to me that there is a problem with these compressors. I have no idea if my dealer has had this issue with other customers, as they are pretty tight lipped about it.

Whether I am just unlucky and the soon to be third compressor will be ok, only time will tell. Watch this space as they say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts