Fiesta ST Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I haven't posted here for quite a while, so I hope alls going well...... On the weekend sent an email to Mountune enquiring if there's scope for an MR200 plennum group buy. Today the manager came back to me with the following reply

"It was quite a long time ago that we produced the last batch MR200 inlet manifolds. Whilst there has been several occasions where ST owners have contacted us to ask about producing a new batch, nothing has ever materialised.

Realistically, we won't ever produce another batch for stock.

However, if you can get together 25 people who are all prepared to pay in full and up front (with no refunds) and then wait circa 12 weeks for production, we could look into this possibility again.

As it's been so long, we would need to speak with the foundry and get the job re-quoted.

Please see what interest you get first. "

I had already put a post on the Facebook group 'ST150 Enthusiasts' which has alot of interest. So I emailed the manager straight back told him that there is interest but without a price per unit, its difficult to say just how strong that interest is.... So thats as far as things go right now.
These plennums I guess are going to be in excess of £1000 each, maybe more, as that apparently is what they cost back in 2013.

Can I just ask any of you that hasnt already expressed an interest on the facebook posting, if you would be serious about joining a group buy for one of these, and have the funds available to you to carry it through, to reply to this thread....

Cheers

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Not interested in buying as have an original install but interested to see how this goes.

Plenty will express an interest. Interested to see what interest is like with a price tag attached to it. I do know there will be plenty of opinions then though.

Being 9 years later I can't see them being less than what they fetch 2nd hand and people are in uproar when they come up at those prices. But they do sell as I've sold one previously. that's 1 let alone 25. However they may suprise us on the price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not interested in buying as have an original install but interested to see how this goes.

Plenty will express an interest. Interested to see what interest is like with a price tag attached to it. I do know there will be plenty of opinions then though.

Being 9 years later I can't see them being less than what they fetch 2nd hand and people are in uproar when they come up at those prices. But they do sell as I've sold one previously. that's 1 let alone 25. However they may suprise us on the price.
Yes, lets get some interest first and we'll see........ If this does happen, there will be a period of time where there will be 25 available, there's still plenty of these cars, in the UK Ireland EU etc.... thats still only around 100 of them in existence apparently. The market is never going to be flooded, they will still hold their value well, maybe not to the same prices one or two people have been willing to pay recently, but that can't be helped, .... Mountune would have to be realistic about the price on a run of 25 otherwise it isn't going to fly... this would be easy money for Mountune

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Yes, lets get some interest first and we'll see........ If this does happen, there will be a period of time where there will be 25 available, there's still plenty of these cars, in the UK Ireland EU etc.... thats still only around 100 of them in existence apparently. The market is never going to be flooded, they will still hold their value well, maybe not to the same prices one or two people have been willing to pay recently, but that can't be helped, .... Mountune would have to be realistic about the price on a run of 25 otherwise it isn't going to fly... this would be easy money for Mountune
74 made originally apparently and a lot went onto race cars. A lot less on the road, and even less that are official MR200 conversions from mountune or a dealer. mountune never officially confirmed how many there actually are. I asked the question a while back when I purchased mine and they wouldnt say. They have fetched these prices second hand for years and will continue to do so I think.

Either way they are a great inlet. Certainly puts a smile on my face still now!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so latest update from Mountune......

Please generate the interest first. To give owners a budget, I expect each person will have to commit upto £1,000.

When you have 25 people, we'll be happy to spend some time restarting the conversation with the foundry.

I'll be clear in what we would be looking to offer. This is the cast inlet manifold, which would include the various plates and brackets that attach to the manifold. We'd include the thermal gasket for fitting manifold to engine. This is not an MR200 upgrade. The throttle body is not included. Calibration is not included.

I look forward to hearing from you"

So there we go.... You can safely assume you wont see much change from £1000. .... All I ask is that people are serious and have the funds ( or credit available,check what Mountune payments accept, not paypal), and if people change their minds, to please let me know and I can remove their names from the list. The payment will be direct to Mountune and all your dealings will be with them, my role in this is only to find a minimum of 25 people and liase with Mountune. So If you are commited to buying one of these, post a relpy stating you wish to be included and I will create a running list

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Whilst I'm not a Mk6 person, I think you'll need to do this through Facebook too. I'm not sure you'll find that many people on here to comment on the post, let alone sign up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whilst I'm not a Mk6 person, I think you'll need to do this through Facebook too. I'm not sure you'll find that many people on here to comment on the post, let alone sign up.
Yeh I will start a speparate facebook group for it, that draw the wider groups in, group buys tend to attract one or two of 'dreamers' so I would like to aim for 30+ serious people to allow for let downs, and would alow for the order to still go through as long as its over 25

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
A couple of years ago I would have definitely been in but I since had a custom inlet manifold fitted.

Surely there must be 25 people for this... if mountune themselves listed the full 25 up for sale on their site they would sell out pretty quick, could also be a pretty good money maker if someone had the cash to buy a few up hehe

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
However, if you can get together 25 people who are all prepared to pay in full and up front (with no refunds) and then wait circa 12 weeks for production, we could look into this possibility again.

As it's been so long, we would need to speak with the foundry and get the job re-quoted.
Could take you weeks to find 25 serious buyers only for the Foundry to say no.

Surely it makes sense for Mountune to contact the Foundry first to see if it is possible to make another batch and if it is get a ball park price, then try and find 25 people.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could take you weeks to find 25 serious buyers only for the Foundry to say no.

Surely it makes sense for Mountune to contact the Foundry first to see if it is possible to make another batch and if it is get a ball park price, then try and find 25 people.
Well I am up to 37 in the group in 24hrs , not counting a few who I have turned down as they were 'window shopping', I am working on talking to each person individually and ensuring we are ALL on the same page and people are committed...... They didn't want to wate time negotiating with the foundry, for it to not hit the minimum 25 and waste that time..... I have updated them today and will be contacting then again on Monday to update them with a view to getting a final price and timescale of when they will be setting up a payment link

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of years ago I would have definitely been in but I since had a custom inlet manifold fitted.

Surely there must be 25 people for this... if mountune themselves listed the full 25 up for sale on their site they would sell out pretty quick, could also be a pretty good money maker if someone had the cash to buy a few up hehe
Yeh it will happen from my side, I have do doubt that there are 25 serious buyers out there, good communication is the key... Once the foundry have quoted if just needs Mountune to stay on board, which I think will come down to me to manage the cohort :) ... Because lets face it, this is a nice little cash cow for Mountune, 25k of business for just some time invested and no cashflowing

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
BIG respect @Paulie Lampeter for doing this. As I mentioned on your facebook post. group buys are hard. a mountune group buy is even harder.

Not that many went onto race cars, show cars and track 'inspired' for the majority. the MR200 package (like all mountune packages of that era) was generally for people who didn't want to get their hands dirty.

Any one with that kind of cash for a track/race car was using itb's.

But lets face it... that's the perfect scenario. It's a fashion brand with a crazy secondhand value. Which is what every collector and 'greenhorn' wants.

If it were solely about power and torque the fusion fabs inlet would be a no brainer making better area under the curve at over half the price!

BUT! will a fusion fabs inlet ever be worth more than its rrp... I very much doubt it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Marv, yeh good to see we are making progress, its slow but for now its running its self, over 70 in the group, as long as we get 25 were its gonna fly.... and yeh its about the Mountune kudos for me, the MR200 is touted as the car the ST should have been, I'm keeping my ST150 till I die, its just the retro drive that has the XR2 feel with the power increased, by the time I have added all the bits I have planned, an engine rebuild, mods tune, the car will only stand me about 5k and I think that will be safe money in the future.... Just a waiting game but I will be disapointed if the foundry for what ever reason were to say its imposible (which they wont because its not lol ) IMy aim is to morph my 150 into a truly certified MR200. CAIS's are still in production albeit a handfull every year around this time, Cams are Piper, TB 60mm, and there is scope for a Mountune exhaust goup buy after this which I am happy to head up. and Mountune still have the MAPs... this time next year there should be a handful of MR200s tearing up the roads :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For anyone who's following this or in the future wanted to know how it ended, unfortunately, the price Mountune came back with was £1500 per unit, this priced most people out and on a minimum order of 25, theres only anbout 5 who I would confidently say would part with that kind of money... Shame but it is what it is and hasn't but too much hassle... The hard part would of been getting 25 people shell out £1000 let alone £1500

1 - 20 of 20 Posts