Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, hopefully I have this in the right place if not let me know.

I am posting this on here as me and a mechanic who has been trying to repair a coolant leak on my 2014 ST180 are a bit stumped so thought I would put it on here in the hope someone has come across this same issue.

Last week my wife was driving it home from work when the car appeared to be low on power and seemed to go into limp mode even though it did not say it was in limp mode. She drove around 5 miles when just a minute from our house it started flashing up with a low coolant level warning so she pulled over.

The coolant level was below minimum so I waited for the car to cool down fully then topped it up and then drove to our house (less then a minute away) and when I got home, I could see under the car that coolant was running off the gearbox mount. I did a bit more looking and the top of the gearbox was covered in coolant.

The mechanic I use thought it must have been a water housing that goes into the cylinder head just above the gearbox which made sense as they are made from plastic and can crack or the o ring can fail so I got the parts from Ford (only £40 odd pound plus vat) and he fitted it. I took the car for a short trip to a local shop and when I got there I checked under the car and again could see coolant dripping from the gearbox mount.

A few days went by and when he came to have another look, we noticed it appeared to be coming from a small hole in the side of the engine just above the coolant housing he replaced. We used an endoscope and are 99% sure it’s coming out of the hole and not running down the head into it. He at first thought it was a copper core plug (that’s what I thought he said) which is something that will crack or blow out to protect the head from cracking but when he went to Ford they have said there is not one of them on the side of the engine.

The next thing he is going to do is test the head for leaks.

I have attached some images of it and a pic of a st head with which I think is the hole.

I went out again this evening and the engine was flat cold and the hole was completely dry after starting the car it took around 3 mins I would say for coolant to start coming out of it.

Not sure if I have rambled on but just wanted to give as much info as possible, fingers crossed one of you will have come across this before and I hope its not a new cylinder head that’s needed.

Thanks in advance

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Eye Automotive tire Jaw Glove Automotive lighting

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Been in the garage today and managed to get an endoscope in that hole as above and can clearly see there is some sort of plug (even though ford said it does not exist). Not sure what to do with it now :(

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Motor vehicle Wood

Started the car and after around 3mins it started flowing from the bottom of the plug.
Gadget Textile Purple Font Communication Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts