Fiesta ST Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum and in need of some advice.
I bought my 2015 180 ST about a month ago and what a great car it is.
It has pro sport coil overs fitted on the front and has 19 inch bola wheels fitted.
When I go over pot holes or round corners at speed the wheels scuff on the arches quite bad.
Took it to my garage to get it hired but found out the coil overs are already at maximum height.
I've been told the reason is the prevoius owner has has too shorter springs fitted on the coil overs and so the springs are basically doing nothing 🤦‍♂️.
Can anyone advise on spring rate/ size I should buy to rectify this and where is the best/cheapest place to buy them.
Appreciate any advice. The noise is driving me mad 😕

·
Registered
533 Posts
If your car does infact have 19 inch wheels on, this would be the first place I'd start. Standards are 17, so if it's been lowered & had bigger alloys put on, these coupled together won't help in the slightest. I'm not an expert in suspension by any means, but I can't imagine you'll be able to sort it out unless you put the standard suspension back on in the mean time.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum and in need of some advice.
I bought my 2015 180 ST about a month ago and what a great car it is.
It has pro sport coil overs fitted on the front and has 19 inch bola wheels fitted.
When I go over pot holes or round corners at speed the wheels scuff on the arches quite bad.
Took it to my garage to get it hired but found out the coil overs are already at maximum height.
I've been told the reason is the prevoius owner has has too shorter springs fitted on the coil overs and so the springs are basically doing nothing 🤦‍♂️.
Can anyone advise on spring rate/ size I should buy to rectify this and where is the best/cheapest place to buy them.
Appreciate any advice. The noise is driving me mad 😕
As mentioned above your 19" wheels are the main problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Seen many comments regarding slightly increased tyre sizes rubbing with coil overs let alone 19" wheels, way too big for the ST!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, bit of an update.

I don't have 19" wheels. I was lied too 🤣.
They are 17 " Bola B16 wheels with 205 tires fitted.
The suspension was knackered so I've had it replaced by the dealer I bought it through.
These are prosport coil overs which from what I've read are pretty terrible anyway?
The scrapping is a lot better since having the new suspension on but I am still getting the rubbing on the arches if I go over deep pot holes or dips in the road at speed.
From what I know 205's are not ridiculously big tires.
The suspension is set at max height which is a 40mm drop.
The dealer said any after market wheels that are fitted will give a little bit of rubbing over large dips.
Is this right or do you think there is something more going on?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm sure 205s are the standard ones on 17s for the ST, should have 205/40/17s on there, if you do it's probably down to the suspension that's on there that's causing your issues. Can't comment myself on whether prosport are good or bad, I've never personally put coilovers on any car I've owned.

I'd check your tyre sizes and see if they're the same as standard, if so, I'd look at getting stock suspension back on there, should be able to recoup some of the cost of doing this if the full suspension was replaced.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Either stock suspension or lowering springs (Mountune or Eibach pro) Where are the tyres rubbing? Outer edge or all over? If it's just the outer edge could it be the wheel offset is wrong? (Wheels are further out than standard) 🤔

·
Registered
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,492 Posts
As above, depends on the offset and also if there are spacers fitted. The ST has quite a large offset something like 47.5 if I remember, compare that with whatever the wheels are. I'm not sure what B7 offset options are. On aftermarket wheels, it's usually cast into the wheel as an ET number

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

Deciding to replace my suspension with stock after having endless trouble with the cheap coil overs I bought the car with. Looking to buy some from Ebay etc. Seeing a lot of oem suspension offered for st180 2013 - 2017. Sounds like a silly question but is the suspension and fittings the same between these years? Appreciate any answers. Don't want to buy something which I can't fit

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hi guys,

Deciding to replace my suspension with stock after having endless trouble with the cheap coil overs I bought the car with. Looking to buy some from Ebay etc. Seeing a lot of oem suspension offered for st180 2013 - 2017. Sounds like a silly question but is the suspension and fittings the same between these years? Appreciate any answers. Don't want to buy something which I can't fit
I believe suspension spring rates changed in 2015 (same time as ST200 release).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe suspension spring rates changed in 2015 (same time as ST200 release).
Thanks mate. Do you know if the actual strut and fittings to bolt onto the car will be the same though between these years? Going to replace the springs with lowering ones anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts