Fiesta ST Forums banner

Did you take the time to run in your engine?

• Yup

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to write this in one of the older threads, but the forum's interface recommended creating a new one. So here goes.

People here have previously quoted the manual on this matter. And it supposedly had the part about the engine. Right now if you open the manual for cars built after 22.11.2021 it doesn't have the engine bit anymore. And there is no separate ST manual like the one you can still find through the search (MK7 one seemingly), this one just has the ST and non ST parts.

So what was it before and what is up now? It does not make sense for the MK8.5 recommendation to be different since the engine is the same but at this point it is not clear to me that MK8 even ever had the engine portion since the pictures in the ST manual depict MK7. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? And if the engine recommendation was in the manual for the MK7 and is absent from the MK8 manual could that not be a random oversight and the 1.5 actually doesn't require special initial treatment after all?

Cheers.

· Registered
2023 8.5 Mean Green hopefully
95 Posts
I was going to write this in one of the older threads, but the forum's interface recommended creating a new one. So here goes.

People here have previously quoted the manual on this matter. And it supposedly had the part about the engine. Right now if you open the manual for cars built after 22.11.2021 it doesn't have the engine bit anymore. And there is no separate ST manual like the one you can still find through the search (MK7 one seemingly), this one just has the ST and non ST parts.

So what was it before and what is up now? It does not make sense for the MK8.5 recommendation to be different since the engine is the same but at this point it is not clear to me that MK8 even ever had the engine portion since the pictures in the ST manual depict MK7. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? And if the engine recommendation was in the manual for the MK7 and is absent from the MK8 manual could that not be a random oversight and the 1.5 actually doesn't require special initial treatment after all?

Cheers.
just dont rev it hard when cold, dont lugg it around in a high gear at low revs and then open the throttle hard, dont cruise for long periods at same speed like on a motorway, and DO load the engine up with some medium accelerations straight away, dont nanny it !! (and dont give it the beans for maybe 3-500 miles!)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool, but I did not ask "how does one break in an engine or should we do it". I am probably asking if anyone saw the pre 22.11.2021 edition of the user manual (someone in the department fancies a pretty looking date) and was there the engine clause that is missing from the current one. And why would it be missing if at least the MK7 edition had it. After all they are not making it easier for them in terms of possible warranty situations.

· Registered
95 Posts
Very cool, but I did not ask "how does one break in an engine or should we do it". I am probably asking if anyone saw the pre 22.11.2021 edition of the user manual (someone in the department fancies a pretty looking date) and was there the engine clause that is missing from the current one. And why would it be missing if at least the MK7 edition had it. After all they are not making it easier for them in terms of possible warranty situations.
Oh, I'm so sorry, silly me ! I obviously quite wrongly assumed as you were obviously looking for running-in info in various places you may need a bit of help/guidance. I guess you started a thread on this because you have no interest at all in the subject. What a weird forum this is. Whatever indeed.

· Super Moderator
30,731 Posts
Why does everyone think they are experts on this subject?😂
Who is claiming to be an expert? People ask a question, people answer questions. It's what the forum is for.

Besides, running in an engine isn't rocket science and you don't need to be anything close to a mechanical engineer/expert to know how to do it.

As for the manual detailing it, it's kind of basic practice/mechanical sympathy that any driver should know. Regards warranties etc, so long as they can see the car clearly hasn't been neglected or abused, you'll be fine.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I'm so sorry, silly me ! I obviously quite wrongly assumed as you were obviously looking for running-in info in various places you may need a bit of help/guidance. I guess you started a thread on this because you have no interest at all in the subject. What a weird forum this is. Whatever indeed.
To answer not too sarcastically to a sarcastic post, yes, you assumed wrong because as @KenL said we are all experts on the matter and can teach that stuff in driving schools. And we should. But don't be offended, I was just pointing out that I am looking into a very narrow aspect of what the manuals are telling us and why.

· Registered
95 Posts
To answer not too sarcastically to a sarcastic post, yes, you assumed wrong because as @KenL said we are all experts on the matter and can teach that stuff in driving schools. And we should. But don't be offended, I was just pointing out that I am looking into a very narrow aspect of what the manuals are telling us and why.
Well you would be amazed at how many people take it TOO easy on new engines and end up with a certain issue, and on engines with new performance cams don't break them in correctly and end up having the cam knock itself out in under 500 miles. I never knew everyone on here was so clever, I always thought there might be a few owners who had zero mechanical knowledge and would appreciate a bit of advice. Live and learn I guess. Good to see tsots8787 is still trying to stick the knife in and gang up on me by liking every post that replies or tries to slag me down ! Funny how there always seems to be a little 'clique' the 'in crowd' on some forums who seem to gang up and stick together if someone is new or dares to express an opinion outside the majority ! Its almost like Mk7 owners dislike MK8/8.5 owners but I haven't put my finger on it fully yet !! ha ha ha ha Whatever !

· Super Moderator
30,731 Posts
I think you need to clarify what you are actually trying to find out.

You've posted this as a poll which asks if people have run their engines in...but then go on to say you're not interested in that but actually why the user manual doesn't state anything...then go on to say it's about whether it actually needs it or not.

People, including myself, have already speculated that as a driver, you should know to treat a car with mechanical sympathy and that would mean you'd run a new engine in by default. It's not a high end, small tolerance race engine, so doesn't need to be done with precision and if it has been maintained your warranty is fine.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, the poll can be misleading, it wasn't necessary. I just added it because why not. Can you delete it by the way?

Well, the thing being in the manual or not leads to needing or not. I am saying that I am not looking for how it is done. To be precise.

To be even more precise I am also asking if anyone saw and remembers what was in the MK8 manual in the previous edition.

And yes, I also wish more people would treat their cars with mechanical sympathy so that it wouldn't be scary to buy one or two year old 15000 or 25000 kilometres vehicles because of the negligence and abuse they could have endured.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
...And yes, I also wish more people would treat their cars with mechanical sympathy so that it wouldn't be scary to buy one or two year old 15000 or 25000 kilometres vehicles because of the negligence and abuse they could have endured.
That is precisely why I was at pains to press the dealerships about who owned the ones I looked at prior to their sale and whether they were on PCP or not.

It makes a fundamental difference to how you treat things if you are buying them for the long term or (IMHO) 'renting' them.

Thankfully my one's dealership was negligent enough of data protection regulations to leave old receipts in the glove box with the previous owners home address thereon...

A quick trip down the road gained me the assurances I needed. The mature individual had bought it outright, only sold it back because it was a luxury "toy" and he was made redundant. Also as he was washing a car on his drive when I called I could see his immaculate and ordered garden and the garage up the drive behind him.

Tidy and ordered garage = tidy and ordered mind. Tidy and ordered mind = tidy and ordered car care ✅

You don't just 'get lucky' finding a good car, the harder you work to find them the 'luckier' you get 😉

· Registered
95 Posts
That is precisely why I was at pains to press the dealerships about who owned the ones I looked at prior to their sale and whether they were on PCP or not.

It makes a fundamental difference to how you treat things if you are buying them for the long term or (IMHO) 'renting' them.

Thankfully my one's dealership was negligent enough of data protection regulations to leave old receipts in the glove box with the previous owners home address thereon...

A quick trip down the road gained me the assurances I needed. The mature individual had bought it outright, only sold it back because it was a luxury "toy" and he was made redundant. Also as he was washing a car on his drive when I called I could see his immaculate and ordered garden and the garage up the drive behind him.

Tidy and ordered garage = tidy and ordered mind. Tidy and ordered mind = tidy and ordered car care ✅

You don't just 'get lucky' finding a good car, the harder you work to find them the 'luckier' you get 😉
I'm in trouble then !!.....
Table Wood Selling Market Desk

· Registered
2,872 Posts

@Keithsson
Could YOU just stop the banging on the same old beat about pcp?

Not everyone, or perhaps very few people (if anyone) abuse the cars they are "renting".

I don't and frankly I find it rather offensive that you think that and keep droning on ad infinitum.

BTW, we're about to purchased my wife's well loved and cared for Skoda Citigo that was on a PCP.

· Registered
95 Posts
@Keithsson
Could YOU just stop the banging on the same old beat about pcp?

Not everyone, or perhaps very few people (if anyone) abuse the cars they are "renting".

I don't and frankly I find it rather offensive that you think that and keep droning on ad infinitum.

BTW, we're about to purchased my wife's well loved and cared for Skoda Citigo that was on a PCP.
I think Keithsson has a very valid point, Ive seen the same sentiment expressed on many car forums whereby people who have bought on PCP ( yes, not all, but certainly a fair amount) openly admit that they will be giving their cars back at the end of the pcp term and do infact drive their cars like they stole them. Obviously some buy using pcp with an intention to keep for the long term, but it is fair to say many just see it as a short term opportunity to rag a car and then move on to the next. Its common knowledge that rental cars and company cars traverse sleeping policemen and road humps at far higher speeds than privately owned and fully paid for cars , I would also state the same goes for PCP cars !!

· Registered
95 Posts

is this any better? would you buy a car off a man whos bench is like this !!??
Automotive lighting Vehicle Font Motor vehicle Hood

1 - 20 of 45 Posts