Fiesta ST Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had one of those Mk7 3 pot ecoboosts for a courtesy car once. Compared to mine it was so quiet that I kept checking the rev counter just to convince myself the engine was still actually running :laughing:.

Can't say I've noticed pedal spacing between Mk6 & Mk7. Mk6 feels "normal", never had an issue catching other pedals even in my chunky size 10 cat boots. I know the concern though, I had to turn down a Saxo VTS many years ago because I could barely drive it without catching 2 pedals at the same time.

Not sure about Vagcom to be fair. I've seen it briefly mentioned for Fords, that it will interface with the Fiesta but not sure if it'll read codes properly. I've never had a fault code in mine.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My GF loves her Fiesta, Ford got that pretty much perfect for what it's needed. For me, it's not so much the pedal space, it's the way my left leg is when not on the clutch...just knackers it after driving any decent amount of time. I'm too old. I think I'd miss the clutch foot rest though.

With the VCDS, it's only for VAG, for instance, when I retrofitted the Sat Nav, it had to be coded for several different options for it to work and I haven't read anywhere, so far, of people coding a Fiesta MK6. Need to look more on that one.

Worryingly, today I had to go to Bicester so a junction up the M40 and I needed to give my S3 a good spirited drive. That is the perfect environment for my car...the pick up response, even at M-way speeds, tanking it along a curvy motorway still being able to hear the sound system perfectly. I had to get a new battery for it today and I'm spending more time doing little things that I should have done, but were 'on the list'.

My GF said when I got back that it looked lovely as I pulled out the drive.

It's so hard changing cars.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all your help and opinions towards a St150 but for now I'm going to stick with the devil I know...the more time I spend tidying up bits, the more I realise I've got unfinished business with my S3.

I'll still be lurking around the Mk6 area as I still have an itch that needs scratching, plus I'm determined to test drive one just to see how it compares overall.

Thanks again for being so welcome, I'll shuffle off now.

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,248 Posts
Hi mate,

Thanks for your voice.

if I get one, I hope to do any mods I can myself, it's been a struggle on the S3 as no room inside the engine bay at all, so every job is a pain or needs a mechanic/garage to do the work and I lost that connection with my 'baby'. Hoping to get that back with my next car.

Both of my last two cars, I have had to replace their turbos due to age so I fancy non turbo, partly less hassle.

Similar to you with holding on to my cars...last three for me...

Celica GT ST182 for 10 years

Celica GT4 ST185 for 7 years

Audi S3 8L for 5 years

I expect that adds up to more years than some of the members ages on here...jeeez I'm old!
Hi tcg,
You and me were born in the same year so we are both young.
I'd go along with what everyone else has said.
The ST will be a 15 - 12 year old car which ever one you get so you have to expect some issues, but after reading some of the posts on later Mk7/8's some of them have issues out of the factory.
I bought a standard 05 plate pre facelift about 5 months ish ago with 56K for £3k so far I've done a few mods ( full MIlteck exhaust ( 1k) ish. Induction kit ( K&N) which made a big difference.
I think the main thing I've been impressed with is the handling, and with powerflex engine mounts fitted its really tightened it up and goes round cormers like its on rails.
Lastly, most of the people on here ( certainly for MK6s ) work on their own cars so will give their knowledge freely, which is refreshing after being on some other sites,
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi tcg,
You and me were born in the same year so we are both young.
I'd go along with what everyone else has said.
The ST will be a 15 - 12 year old car which ever one you get so you have to expect some issues, but after reading some of the posts on later Mk7/8's some of them have issues out of the factory.
I bought a standard 05 plate pre facelift about 5 months ish ago with 56K for £3k so far I've done a few mods ( full MIlteck exhaust ( 1k) ish. Induction kit ( K&N) which made a big difference.
I think the main thing I've been impressed with is the handling, and with powerflex engine mounts fitted its really tightened it up and goes round cormers like its on rails.
Lastly, most of the people on here ( certainly for MK6s ) work on their own cars so will give their knowledge freely, which is refreshing after being on some other sites,
Hope this helps
Hi Alan,
Thanks for your advice...I've been tracking ST150's for most of the year whilst contemplating selling my S3. I worked out I'm currently driving around 20 miles a week for the past year or so and barely getting to 70 mph, so my S3 is in for it's MOT at the end of the month and then up for sale. Only last week I fitted an aircon pump to it (has to be done from underneath so laid on my garage floor) and now my alarm siren back up batteries are failing (Audi want around £170 for a new siren) and scrappy ones are Russian roulette so I'll try that first. Sorry about the essay but these are the reasons it has to go, it's like an ex-girlfriend, too needy, so I'll be looking in earnest to see if I can find a ST150 that I'm happy with. I've come to terms with the power/torque/speed/etc. and just need a car better suited to my needs (I should just by a 1.0 Fiesta) but need something to get that relationship back with my car and heated leather seats would be nice.

Back to work on my S3...

·
Registered
411 Posts
You will miss the torque but you will get, like others said so much more feedback from the chassis. I find NA car more rewarding to drive than turbo's. I did used to want a S3 1.8T loving the wide body but it seemed a bit heavy and not the type of 4wd system I wanted.

I like the Fiesta Mk6 ST so much I kept it over a Mk7 ST and if I had to choose between the GR Yaris and the ST i'd still keep my ST, its fun and reliable. Hope that gives some context to the car.

You might need to invest in suspension, wheels and tyres. I'm modding the Fiesta to make it more comfortable daily driving, going to 16", 15" wheels.

Hopefully you would see 38 MPG up from the 26-30 MPG I recall a friend getting in his Audi TT 1.8T

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi mate,
Yeh, pulling out from slip roads is fun when the boost kicks in. The S3 is heavy and the haldex is nothing special, although when we used to drive our dog around to avoid fireworks, I'd drive for a few hours around dual carriageways at about 60 mph and it would return nearly 40 mpg. Off boost they're quite good fuel wise. I'm also fed up with having to use super unleaded, would be nice to fill up anywhere instead of Tesco 99 all the time...for convenience and cost.

Ironically my S3 flew through its MOT last week and now has the aircon back up and running, I then spent the last two days laid underneath it undersealing everything I could get to with a brush...it's probably in the best condition it's been in since I bought it, so I'm enjoying the experience for now. Still struggling to put it up for sale...letting go is hard, even when you know it's time. It doesn't help when my GF keeps saying "keep it if you want to". Although I have started to sell off all the spare parts I have accumulated during ownership :rolleyes: that might help motivate me.

Seems that good ST150's get sold quickly and many others have been 'chavved' up too much for my liking with countless owners, plus I still can't decide between black, red, blue or white...decisions, decisions. Pretty much guaranteed the suspension will need changing, if standard, due to age. Apart from a catback exhaust and intake, there's not that much else I'd intend to upgrade...famous last words!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
21 - 33 of 33 Posts