Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a service in november and changed all the oil and now my oil light has come on! Surely it cant use it all! I have no leaks or nething ne1 know y im using alot? Its on a 55 plate. Ne help would be greatfull

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
the oil light is an oil pressure warning and not an oil level light! the level may be low but thats not the only reason the light comes on! no oil = no pressure.

keep an eye on the usage.... mine uses about 0.5 to 1.0 lt of oil every 3-4k miles.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Naturally the first thing is to do a physical check of the level via the dipstick, which is telling you.....?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iv done the checks when i seen the light flicker and the stick was bone dry. Iv had to fill it up twice in a year now both times has been when the light flickers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the oil light is an oil pressure warning and not an oil level light! the level may be low but thats not the only reason the light comes on! no oil = no pressure.

keep an eye on the usage.... mine uses about 0.5 to 1.0 lt of oil every 3-4k miles.
I've done 6k miles in mine and it still doesn't need topping up, haven't topped it up once

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
my old one used about a litre every couple of thousand miles, no leaks and had no signs of burning it, well no smoke anyway, was told it's quite normal for those engines to use it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Always check the oil on a regular basis (I do mine every fortnight or so) especially if you like driving it hard!

I used to have a Zetec-S which I drove hard until it ran out of oil and chewed the big ends. At first I couldn't figure out why because there were no leaks and no smoke coming out the back. I was told them engines burn oil when driven hard so now I always check the oil!

·
"Fifi LaRoo"
12,307 Posts
If it is using that much oil, then shouldnt you take it back to be looked at? The dipstick in the ST is terrible at giving an accurate reading (I've dipped it 10 times and got no reading but I knew it had oil) but if you're checking every 2-3 weeks then I would want someone to have a butchers?

Be honest do you drive it ... "enthusiastically"?

My car is 6 years old, over 87K on the clock and never needs topping up between services

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol i check it every 2 to 3 weeks now as i never rele checked it b4 apart from wen needing a service. im not topping it up every 2 to 3 weeks
readie iv checked that mate. since i filled her up from the day this post i did i havnt topped up so fingers crossed!

·
Mike Goodman Motorsport
794 Posts
The ST has an oil breather which blows back into the air filter and get blown out the exhaust so you can use oil this way. Mine uses about the same as other peopl say, about a litre every few thousand miles.

With regards to the light coming on, is it the oil light or the EML?

Mike

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
can you do anything with the oil breather? my k&n has a pipe from air filter to the oil breather? the light is the oil sign.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
i hate these cars for checking oil! its hard work!

my car before it was charged etc it never used oil..since it went from 165-170bhp to 333bhp if i abuse it i will use 1ltr+ of oil in 200miles
that is drinking oil!

no it doesnt smoke at all.....

lee

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
A word of warning if you haven't got a super charger or maybe even if you have!!!

If you are using oil ie topping up every 1000 miles or so get it checked out properly dont just keep topping up. I've just had a very nasty shock. My engine was using oil but there was no sign of any leaks or any smoke so put it down to just the car some do some dont and checked and topped up regularly. This week the car developed a nasty knock it had been serviced 10 days before with full oil change but when they checked oil level at the garage this time it was below the dip stick again!!!! Still no external leaks or clouds of smoke and engine chrome clean and shiny!!!!

So thats ok isnt it no problem. Well the short answer is very big problem the engine is knackered - the piston, heads, rings, and chambers on 1 and 4 pot are knackered due to excessive oil burning and probably damage to valves as well. I'm looking at either a short engine rebuild and pray that the bottom end is ok and isnt damaged or a complete remanufactured unit - neither is cheap. Unfortunately the last service wasnt carried out by Ford and its out of warranty on an 08 plate. I looked down the camera to see for myself no despute.

If I were you if in any doubt get a mechanic to stick a camera down the pots and check it should be a relatively cheap and very easy check to do - the mechanic just removes plugs and insert small camera. If everything is ok it would be money well spent if not it may not be too late....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts