Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dont really know too much about cars, just the basics really and I test drove a Focus ST on Saturday (which I thought was amazing) and looked at the boost gauge and just didnt know what I was looking at lol

So could somebody please explain how boost works in simple terms

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
You just got your first fix of boost!!

Thats it now mate down hill from now,you will only want more and more and more lol.

You go it covered I don't need to go into detail..

That surge of power you felt was the turbo 'spooling' up in other words coming on boost.

Lee

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cheers guys, so how is boost generated? Is it the more you plant it the more it builds up? Sorry if thats daft lol

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Boost is gernerated on a turbo car by exhaust gasses.

So as the engine builds rpm low end,the exhaust gasses are spinning the turbo...it comes on boost then you feel the surge of power...all the excess boost you don't use is take via the wastegate into the exhaust.

Your actuator sets you boost limit.

Lee

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats great lads cheers, that has helped me understand how it works lol. So in other words just drive as fast as you can and enjoy the boost

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Just enjoy the car
,there's so much you can do to a turbo car..but basic stuff like breathing and cooling mods help loads!!

You don't even need to raise the boost to get a better car,just a exhaust,intercooler,induction kit and stronger recirculate valve will make the car so much better!

The exhaust Also sounds epic on a 5 pot!

Lee

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
U gettin a Focus ST then? they are very nice cars. Iv test driven a few when my rents were looking for a new car. They really fly and the pick up is unbelieveable!!!

PS i also dont understand the technical stuff lol

Matt

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
ANd it is a LOT easier to get more power out of a turbo car than a normally aspirated one. Especially on the software side of things.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Very nice mate, i would of loved an ST3. But with buying a house and the fact of the higher running costs, i couldnt justify them. But i am loving my Fez so far and have eibachs and milltek to be fitted so that shud put a bigger smile on me face (prob not as big a smile as a 300bhp focus would but oh well lol)

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts