Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time has come to replace the Michelin PS3's on my ST.
These are my year round road tyres (I have separate wheels/tyres for track use)
I've been quite happy with the PS3's (apart from the fact they are cracking on the sidewalls) and I like the softer tyre wall for use on our crap roads. Rather than automatically buying PS5's are there any other tyres that are in vogue and worth considering? I don't do loads of miles so ultimate wear is not the most important factor.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,125 Posts
I just replaced the PS3's that were still on the rear axle of mine. As you say, the sidewalls were pretty cracked and poor overall after so many years.

I've gone for the PS5's, to match the front.

However, Uniroyal Rainsports are a common choice as well as Conti Sport Contacts (latest iterations of both).

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you are thinking about getting PS5's keep an eye out as they do 15% off quite a lot on blackcircles (and maybe other places as well).
In fact they are on offer now. Brings them more in line with the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just put PS5’s on the front. Apart from being a great looking tyre they were actually very good value with the BC 15% off code and came in at about £100 per corner. Couldn’t see anything else on there worth considering and as I have Michelins on the rear it made sense to match.

I noticed Kumho Ecsta are about £70 so might be a good budget option but for the sake of a few quid I wasn’t bothered.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went from PS4 all round to Asymmetric 5 and missed the feel of the PS4's. Can be so subjective and others will say the opposite. Can't say about the latest versions but I will be basing my next purchase based on this experience. If you decide on Goodyear or Micheline, Costco sometimes do very good deals.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Not sure if I could really tell but apparently the PS4 slightly softer side walls. Watched a lot of these videos and probably partly why I tried the Assymetric 5. I definitely wasn't dissapointed with them and not sure if I can put my finger on why i preferred the PS4, certainly didn't feel less sporty to me. These are reviewed in 18" and a different car so could make a difference?
Happy tyre shopping :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Probably going 'off topic' here but a strange situation and wondering if the 8j and 225 Michelin Pilot Sport could be a reason ? any ideas ? (post below is from my other thread)

Just changed my MK8 ST3 with 6k miles from new and running fine.
I have had REVO wheels on for the last 1k miles with the correct and new 225 tyres on.
PX'd it and drove my new ST3 (standard wheels) back home (140 miles) and obviously took it steady.

However the ride is far smoother / not so hard which I can understand on the tyres but most interestingly cornering is FAR better on these standard wheels. Would have thought that wider and lighter wheels would have been much better ?
Looking back now my 8j wheels have never felt as good as todays drive back. Yes I know even at 6k miles suspension etc is not new but it's a dramatic difference so very confusing.

Always like to have different wheels than standard but am now wondering what to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts