Fiesta ST Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
ST200, More power incoming :D
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story sort, Im looking to change cars in the next few months and Im really unsure which to get. My last 3 cars have been fiesta STs (mk6, mk7 and mk7). I really want a change but I havent got a clue what to.

I have a budget of 20 - 25k including what ever I get for my ST200. Now Im 35 and 6ft5 Id really like to stay with fiesta size cars.

My list so far is

1) M140i
2) Golf R
3) AMG A45

I have never financed a car and was tempted to go and have a look at a Yaris GR but Im unsure if Ill fit inside one. Lol.

Mileage is not a problem because I do a max of 4K a year, my ST200 has done 15k in the 4 and a half years Ive had it.

Im open to suggestions

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Out of those, I'd go for an M140i (not the new FWD rubbish though). Get one with a diff, or save the cash for one.

The Golf and AMG just seem boring, point and squirt cars. The AWD drivetrain offers no reward other than going fast enough to get an custodial sentence.

An M140i should cause you to keep your wits about you and offer some driving development.

My mate had a Golf R and we both agreed it was a bit dull.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im possibly changing car in the next 6 months, similar budget to you. M140 has a mega engine but the rest of the time it feels strangely detached, more like a GT car with a hatchback body which makes it feel a bit aloof, the lack of an LSD makes it feel a bit scrappy at times as well so budget for one.

Golf R is a fantastic bit of kit, but Id be constantly worried about someone trying to Nick it, same with the A45.

Havent looked at an A45 as Ive heard horror stories of very high running & servicing costs.

Its well worth having a look at a Renault Megane Rs280, feels special and its a riot to drive and very comfortable as well. Build quality is surprisingly good as well considering Renaults shaky reputation for build quality.

The current Focus ST is well worth a look as well, feels just like a bigger, faster more grown up Fiesta ST.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Golf R is a fantastic bit of kit, but Id be constantly worried about someone trying to Nick it, same with the A45.
To add to this, the same friend who had the Golf R and agreed it was a bit dull, was also assaulted on his driveway as he interrupted a number of guys trying to steal it one day.

Only got back in time as they had scoped the place out to make sure no one was at home and he had seen them on his video doorbell.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive got a few test drives coming up so Ill see whats what. Ive spend the last few days reading reviews on all kinda cars in my budget and I still cant decide lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To add to this, the same friend who had the Golf R and agreed it was a bit dull, was also assaulted on his driveway as he interrupted a number of guys trying to steal it one day.

Only got back in time as they had scoped the place out to make sure no one was at home and he had seen them on his video doorbell.
That sounds about right for Golf R ownership risk wise, unfortunately they seem to be a regular target for car thieves.

OP, best thing to do is look at everything that takes your fancy within budget, do a pro & con list and go from there, my list so far is:

MK4 Focus ST
BMW M135/140
Honda Civic Type R FK8
Seat Leon Cupra
Renault Megane RS280/300 Trophy
Hyundai i30N
Golf R/Audi S3
Porsche Boxster

The other option is keeping my mk8 Fiesta ST and adding some choice modifications, bang for buck Im finding it hard to move away from the Fiesta at the moment, although Ive not driven everything on my list yet.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I've recently changed from a Fiesta to an m140.

Very different cars (obviously!). Mine now has Bird's suspension, diff and a remap and it's great fun, but a different sort of fun to the Fez. Proper rapid, but still no b road car like the Fiesta. I could get in the Fiesta and drive flat out, take massive liberties with it and know it was always on my side.

On the flip side the BMW is a nicer long distance car, proper fast and takes time to learn how to get the best from.

I'd recommend the m140 but be aware it is a quite different driving experience.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the peaks / Derbyshire Dales on my door step and love the countryside drives. I agree with the fiesta being amazing in these type of roads. You can give it a good kicking and still be 60-70 mph, where the other cars you put your foot down and its 100+ Maybe I should just put a stage 2 package on the fiesta and enjoy it. Grrrrr I hate making decisions lol.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I have the peaks / Derbyshire Dales on my door step and love the countryside drives. I agree with the fiesta being amazing in these type of roads. You can give it a good kicking and still be 60-70 mph, where the other cars you put your foot down and its 100+ Maybe I should just put a stage 2 package on the fiesta and enjoy it. Grrrrr I hate making decisions lol.
Were I in the market right now, I would be doing anything to get in a Yaris GR. A top spec one at that with track package.

It's going to probably be the last ever ICE powered rally homologation car. It will be something special that goes down in history.

I honestly think in 30-40 years time, it's going to fetch huge figures at sale, similar to the way 90's JDM cars do these days.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
£32-£35k+ I would love one but way out my price range even used ones are fetching silly money. Im really in no rush to swap tbh and Ive got a pile of mods to fit. Saying that, if the right car came up Id be doing a deal. Im keeping a eye on tourq gt website and pistonheads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts