Fiesta ST Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,646 Posts
All spaces should be adult with kids sizes and not crammed in like sardines
In many cases it's not the supermarket to blame but the car manufacturers... Go back even 10 years and compare car sizes you would probably easily park safely three cars in the slots with more than enough space, go back another 10 years and you could probably kick the doors open in the same slots without risk of car on car action.

Maybe car manufacturers and those advising them bigger is better are the problem, hell in another 10 years at the current rate of growth Satnavs will need another category (like they have for articulated trucks) adding specifically for SUV's as even now on many roads when two of these meet in opposite directions traffic comes to a near standstill slowing everyone behind who can't get past this rolling logjam because of their width......

....or maybe the car manufacturers will just lobby the government to get them to change every B road in the UK to suit their growing needs.... :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Agreed, although I do think car obesity is perhaps consumer led... the misapprehension that bigger is better and a growth in a 'stuff you, this makes me feel important' attitude.

It is just possible though that in 10 years time as we enter the full electric era range anxiety will win the battle... bigger and heavier will mean almost complete uselessness, smaller and lighter will be the desired quality.

We can but hope 🤞

·
Super Moderator
23,633 Posts
What "it's"? Cars being bigger?
Yes.

Take a look at an MGB and then an MX5... Or even just the iterations of MX5.

So the Chrysler Grand Voyager that sideswiped me off my motorbike was actually just a very quiet and safe small hatchback.

Who knew? 😂
Now compare like for like.

Original Defender vs the new one...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I was jesting, of course 🤭

But I feel we're talking at cross purposes here, two very different issues.

Yes model for model they've got bigger in and of themselves but the point in discussion wasn't that, it was that the 'type' of cars being purchased are much bigger.

Back in the day, not so very long ago, the biggest family car you could get was a Volvo estate or one of them 7 seat Peugeots. In those days SUV stood for 'shockingly ugly vehicle'.

Now every biff with a small willy seems to want to own a car bigger than their house. The yanks started it and PCP hasn't helped, it allows conspicuous consumption to those who couldn't otherwise afford to own a shipping container with a wheel in each corner.

It cracks me up to see these rabbit hutch new development housing estates with brand new Strange Rovers on their postage stamp driveways poking out onto the pavement.

Folk's sense of priority is bizarre, as is the amount they're prepared to spend each month to fool no-one they are wealthy.

That's why cars (collective) have got bigger, not just cars (individual) having better crush zones and airbags.

But hey, maybe the trash folk waste their money on for 'status' is a whole other 'why?'... maybe even a psychiatry thesis 🙄

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance MY2021
3,081 Posts
Well... The MK1 Focus was about the same or even smaller than MK8 Fiesta when you compare the interiors.

·
Super Moderator
23,633 Posts
Even more noticeable on the twisty back roads up in the Dales/Lakes. Can only just squeeze past hatchbacks these days, let alone coming across a Range Rover or Q8.

Worst part is, they believe they don't have to slow down or move over...

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,646 Posts
Agreed, although I do think car obesity is perhaps consumer led... the misapprehension that bigger is better and a growth in a 'stuff you, this makes me feel important' attitude.
I don’t think it is consumer led more the consumer “being” led. They advertise these products in the same way as has been used since the early years of cigarettes making the prospective owner believe that bigger is better more desirable safer.. even when sometimes these tanks are lower in the encap rating than the “lesser” smaller cars
It's mostly due to more sound deadening and increased crash protection.
I think that is the usual cop-out blame luxury or safety yet so many small sporty cars still manage to do the same encap rating with less and that’s before they go down the exotic MMMF composites…. Which if these major manufacturers where to scale up would/could be moderately comparable to steel whilst also lowering emissions per km. don’t believe me, look at the prices of electric cars only 10 years ago. Now compare them to the price now that companies like steels have gone down the mass production route. Hell you can pitch up a brand new bottom of the range Tesla for Focus money and we’re still not talking some under rated 100 mile range bargain bucket item buta car you could be proud to step out of.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Yes.

Take a look at an MGB and then an MX5... Or even just the iterations of MX5.

Now compare like for like.

Original Defender vs the new one...
MX5 is still a small car, and murder to get in and out of.
TT hasn't got much bigger over 20 years either.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
MX5 is still a small car, and murder to get in and out of.
TT hasn't got much bigger over 20 years either.
It's ALL due to crash protection legislation.
Just compare how heavy and thick (as opposed to wide) doors are now compared to '30' years ago.
You could almost pick up my MG Midget in one hand now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bringing this slightly back on topic I remember going to the cinema many years ago now with our twins who were just pre school to watch a childrens film mid week.

We were in there for about ten minutes in a completely empty cinema. I mean completely empty apart from us. Just as the main feature began an old chap wandered in with presumably his grandchildren and out of about 200 free seats available decided that the best place to sit was right in front of us blocking the view of our two four year olds.

We moved naturally so our children could see the film but it gives an insight into the mentality or lack of it of some members of the human race.

I am an advocate and practitioner of the art of defensive parking. Usually the choice of a far away car space deters the lazy lump who is more likely to inflict damage however there is a bizarre herd mentality which has also driven me insane on occasion where you return and find your car is now parked next to another in a completely empty car park and they are just too near for your peace of mind...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The answer to the latter I feel was given by some wise sage earlier in the thread...

Some people have such poor spatial awareness to negotiate themselves into a painted box on the floor that they have to use another vehicle as a reference point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My old neighbor admitted he used to do this in his $**t box Astra just to annoy people with nice cars especially if they looked like they'd purposefully parked out the way.

And yes he's the sort of person who would argue Blue is Red just to be in an argument.
100%. Let their tyres down next time 😂

21 - 39 of 39 Posts