Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week a stone chip came up and chipped my windscreen. On the same day I contacted my insurance company and they arranged for the Autoglass man to come round the next day. When he saw the chip he said that the screen might crack while he was doing the repair and even if it didn't crack, the repair might not last. He managed to complete the repair so that the chip was no longer visible. About a week later, the chip is once again visible and there are three hairline cracks, ranging from 0.5 cms to 1.5 cms in length coming from the crack. I phoned Autoglass back and they said that this would now have to be processed as a warranty claim rather than an immediate replacement screen. They said that their warranty claims department would contact me but I heard nothing on the day that I made the call to them.

Moral of the story ... If you have a chip repaired, ask the repair man if he things the repair will be effective. If he is uncertain, reject the repair and opt for a new screen. The down side is that you have to pay the excess but at least you don't have to wait for a replacement while a warranty claim is processed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Keep in mind though (not for all insurers but some..) although your no claims bonus is NOT affected, that doesnt mean to say next years premium from that insurer wont go up due to your windscreen claim... again most insurers are alright but some do seem to knock up next years quote after a windscreen is claimed in the previous years policy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe ... but I just can't bring myself to take a hammer to my ST!

Keep in mind though (not for all insurers but some..) although your no claims bonus is NOT affected, that doesnt mean to say next years premium from that insurer wont go up due to your windscreen claim... again most insurers are alright but some do seem to knock up next years quote after a windscreen is claimed in the previous years policy

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I claimed on a cracked windscreen, paid my windscreen excess and it hasn't affected my premium at all...my premiums dropped over the last two years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think a windscreen claim increases your premium but when you transfer insurers it's wise to notify the new insurer that you have claimed for a windscreen. They don't worry about it. It's never increased my premium.

I claimed on a cracked windscreen, paid my windscreen excess and it hasn't affected my premium at all...my premiums dropped over the last two years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts