Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use that little button in between the heated seat switches on an ST2 which lights up yellow/orange with the icon on it like a heated windscreen icon?
If so when and what for?
For info my climate control is always in auto with aircon enabled.
l believe it is supposed to direct air to the windscreen vents.

Premium Member
I don't have the ST2 set up (if indeed it differs from an ST3 at all?) but that is the heated windscreen button isn't it?...

...the 'magic button' as we call it that stops you having to go out and scrape ice off the windscreen when its frosty 馃ザ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the ST2 set up (if indeed it differs from an ST3 at all?) but is that not the heated windscreen button?...

...the 'magic button' as we call it that stops you having to go out and scrape ice off the windscreen when its frosty 馃ザ
No that鈥檚 on the top row of the centre console / climate control panel along with heated rear screen,max defrost etc.
This is below that in between left and right heated seat controls.

Premium Member
No that鈥檚 on the top row of the centre console / climate control panel along with heated rear screen,max defrost etc.
This is below that in between left and right heated seat controls.
Ah, OK, the ST2 must differ from mine then. I defer.

There are two buttons with 'windscreen symbols' on the ST3 set up... and the lower one is definitely the windscreen heater, the upper one is to direct the fan to blow up the screen.

I have no experience of the 'automatic' feature as I'll be the judge of what happens to the air temp./flow in my car thank you very much, not a computer 馃檮

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one next to the heated steering wheel button is the one l am referring
Font Rectangle Machine Office equipment Communication Device

Registered
This is the heated windscreen switch @Keithsson was correct. This is not to be confused with the demist function on the climate control panel. Next time your windscreen is iced up start the car and pop the switch in a min your screen is clear.

Premium Member
Yep, that's the heated windscreen button 馃憤

Steering part Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

The lower windscreen iconed button (right next to the heated steering wheel button) is the heated windscreen.

Up to now you've been clearing your windscreen with the huffer, not the windscreen heater 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can guarantee you my heated windscreen is activated by the button next to the max defrost so 3rd from left (as you look at it) so top row is heated rear screen,max defrost,front heated screen .

Registered
I can guarantee you my heated windscreen is activated by the button next to the max defrost so 3rd from left (as you look at it) so top row is heated rear screen,max defrost,front heated screen .
I can put money that the button your referring to isn鈥檛 the heated windscreen

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies everyone l have just checked a copy of the online manual and l am wrong.
Either way it certainly clears my windscreen when icy but probably because 9 times out of 10 l press max defrost which seems to put everything on at once.
It would appear then that l have never individually activated the heated screen on its own as l thought that button was to direct air at the screen.
What a numpty :censored:

Premium Member
No worries @ZoSo it is a bit silly of them to put the 'air flow direction' button so close to the rear windscreen button... by association its easy to assume they'll be doing the same sort of function.

As for 'Max A/C' that's great on a hot day (although I thought a Harrier jump jet was landing on the car when I first pressed it 馃槵) but if you're just doing a short trip on an icy morning, I'd stick to just the heated windscreen to leave a bit more 'juice' in the battery for its next start... Max A/C would drain a nuclear power station 鈿

Super Moderator
If its anything like Mk7, the heated screen automatically goes on when below 5掳C anyway (the light in the switch doesn't illuminate when automated).

Premium Member
2014 Mk7 ST-3
If its anything like Mk7, the heated screen automatically goes on when below 5掳C anyway (the light in the switch doesn't illuminate when automated).
I, did not know this.

Does the climate control need to be set to auto for that or is it just triggered by the outside temp reading for the car?

Super Moderator
I, did not know this.

Does the climate control need to be set to auto for that or is it just triggered by the outside temp reading for the car?
Exterior temp sensor. If you get the little ice warning on the dash.

Premium Member
Not so sure it does, at least not on the mk8 anyway, I shall explain...

I'll use it to clear ice on start up but then it goes off. I never use auto or A/C on start (old school battery love) and I never take any heat from the engine until the engine is up to temperature (old school engine love).

So its cold air blown over the screen if required and with cracked side windows under the wind deflectors that draws the air away.

From time to time the screen will mist up a bit and the huffer is used just to remind the air which direction its supposed to go.

Once the engine has warmed up, the occupants can then warm up and all functions are back in play, thems the rules.

Now, during the no A/C, no heat period if the heated windscreen was on some sort of autonomous sentry then the screen would only mist up on the parts without those tiny elements running through it... and it doesn't, it mists up across the whole screen.

Besides which, even without my unique and passenger unfriendly cold start processes, when the button is pressed it only stays on for short bursts, 2-3 minutes, before it turns itself off. So to think it would stay on permanently below 5鈦... which could be for hours, is somewhat fanciful.

Super Moderator
It doesn't stay on permanently, just like when you manually turn it on, it will self cancel after a period. Also, it depends on battery level and we all know what the Mk8 batteries are like.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As AMc states l believe it does automatically turn on if your frost light is on as states in the manual that it automatically turns on the heated door mirrors also.
The door mirror heaters activate when you turn the rear heated screen on manually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts