Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

Hoping to get some advice on possible route cause of cutting out issue.

Little 1.2 zetec wouldn't start this morning, or more correctly started and immediatly died, restarted fine, then died.

Pulled air filter off to check foe loose / split pipes everything looked ok, checked fault codes with OBD reader, none stored.

Had a look on tinternet and found a host of reasons why it could happen, plugs/ledas/MAF/throttle position sensor etc etc etc.

Thought I'd start with the basics, so pulled leads off: Eeeeek.

Tool Wood Nickel Household hardware Metalworking hand tool

Leads 3 & 4 discoloured and wet on bottom. ( very strange )

Pulled plug 3 out :

Wood Gas Cable Electric blue Plumbing

Must have been 1/2" of oil around plug, ( same on 4 )

Now, I am trying to keep this car alive on a budget ( cause I've spent all my cash on the Zetec S & the ST !!! so, cleaned plugs, fitted a spare set of ST leads, which are too long for the rocker cover, but fit and hey presto, car lives.... (y) (y)

So, question time:

Is there any other way, apart from the rocker cover gasket, that this oil could have got there ? ( car runs fine, no smoke )

Ideas please - Many thanks

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it runs for a second and then dies, and if it runs a MAP sensor like the ST, I'd start there.
Hi Vulpes,

Its been fine since I got rid of the oil around the plugs, just been out 10/15 min drive, no issues, just wondered how the oil would have got there and how to stop it coming back

Al.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
There is a very common pipe that splits, causing cutting out issues, its the crank case breather pipe. luckily it is very easy to replace (unlike the ST!)
It routes behind the throttle body, Take the intake pipe of the TB and you should be able to see it, pop it off and check for splits.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a very common pipe that splits, causing cutting out issues, its the crank case breather pipe. luckily it is very easy to replace (unlike the ST!)
It routes behind the throttle body, Take the intake pipe of the TB and you should be able to see it, pop it off and check for splits.
Hi zippy,

I admit I did consider that pipe, but I'd dismissed it as my understanding of the symptoms of a cracked PCV would be reving up and idle as opposed to cutting out.
But so as not to overlook anything, I've just had a look and it looks and feels ok.

Car was much better this morning, amazing as all I'd really done yesterday was cleaned the two oil soaked plugs.

Got plugs/leads & rocker gasktet ordered ( hopefully arrive over the weekend ) so, hopefully once they are done - job done

Cheers Al

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,

Hopefully good news, rocker gasket arrived this afternoon, and even though I havn't got the plugs and leads decideds that as the gasket was the likely route cause if the issue I'd change it.

Automotive wheel system Gas Engineering Machine Metal

Couldn't find any tears in the old gasket, but it was rock hard and the rocker cover bolts were only just over hand tight.
Cleaned off as much of the gunge as I could, cam belt end was pretty clean so I'm happy no oil made its way onto the belt.
Refitted with new gasket, I've fitted the old zetec leads as they fit the rocker cover properly
Idles nicely @ 1k, drops to 900 ish when reved and let to idle, but as it was dropping to 500 before I'm hopefull its done.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi zippy,

I admit I did consider that pipe, but I'd dismissed it as my understanding of the symptoms of a cracked PCV would be reving up and idle as opposed to cutting out.
But so as not to overlook anything, I've just had a look and it looks and feels ok.

Car was much better this morning, amazing as all I'd really done yesterday was cleaned the two oil soaked plugs.

Got plugs/leads & rocker gasktet ordered ( hopefully arrive over the weekend ) so, hopefully once they are done - job done

Cheers Al
Yeah the ST does normally rev high, but the little zetecs (1.25, 1.4 and 1.6) often cut out, used to be a weekly occurrence while I was still working at ford.
But if cleaning everything up has solved your problem then happy days! Got to love an easy fix

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All,

WEll, this zetec will never go wrong ever again

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Got about a mile from home before it caught fire

Towed home to strip off anything useful prior to phoning the scrapyard ( unless anyone wants a "project" ) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts